Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fighting RUST!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Jul 18, 2001.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Jul 8, 2001
    Does anyone out there know of a good Denver/Aurora Bodyshop that does good rust repair? Im working with a 79 Chevy Shortbox and want to get the rust out of the right floorboard. Thanks for any help.
  2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

May 8, 2001
    Many of us are fighting the same battles... So you will get much info on how to attack it yourself.

Personally, I have a can of spray-on rubberized undercoating and bedliner that I cover any new rust with, until I can get the sander and repaint it (if it needs paint). I also believe in prevention, and have sprayed many other parts of the truck with it...
    On my old truck, I cut the deck/trunk lid off my old buick, and cut shaped pieces of sheetmetal off it for my floor. Then used a grinder to cut out as much floor rust as possible in my K5, sanded and sprayed it with bedliner, bolted in the sheetmetal from the buick, and threw the carpet back over it.
    If I do the floor in my current K5, I'll do the same thing with the exceptoin of rivets in place of bolts (bolts too expensive $10 against $2, plus the rivets are flatter), sand and bedliner the new sheetmetal, and if I can weld by then, weld it to seal it. If I can't weld by then, A thick line of silicone sealer around the mating edges...

Good luck! Wish I could tell you a good shop...

<a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**