Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

figured out how to fix 4HI- couple ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 24, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I figured out how to fix the 4HI problem, of it not engaging due to the body lift. I looked and looked, until I found the rod thingy you guys are talking about..I see that it is threaded, and that I need to "unthread" it to make it longer, so that it engages..it's wicked rusty, and I will have to soak it with penetrating fluid prior to being able to really see it...is there an easy method to removing the rod, and rethreading it, or is it pretty self explanitory once I get it cleaned up...I can't even tell how its connected to the shift lever, thats how crappy it is.

p.s. I know this is ONLY a pavement Pounder, but I will need 4HI should I ever drive it in the winter.

and I also know you want to know what my transfer case is but I can't remember what you guys told me before...its the 4spd manual tranny..if that helps

thanks!
    Brandy

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It should become more obvious as you get it cleaned up...

I'm gonna guess it's a NP208. I have no idea what year your truck is but again I'm going to guess newer than 81. There were 4 T-cases offered behind the SM465. the 205 was the most common, but the linkage would not be afected by a body lift, because it's not attached to the body at any point. The 203 behind the SM465 was only offered for one model year ('74) so that is a slim chance I suppose. That leaves the second most common T-case behind the 4 speed, the NP208. Shift bucket mounted to the tranny tunnel with linkage going back to the T-case...

Rene

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'd say its a NP208, that number rings a bell...your probably right. It's an 86.

I sprayed it down this morning, with some liquid wrench stuff, and finished taking out the seats, and cleaning up the floor, I'd say 20 minutes it sat with the stuff on it..looks pretty simple now..seems to be just a few turns and it'll work. But with my luck it's going to turn into some ratchet tossing stuff...I'm sure the neighbor's by now are about fed up with the truck in the yard..for some reason, they don't understand ...hmm

thanks Rene

Brandy

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'd say its a NP208, that number rings a bell...your probably right. It's an 86.

I sprayed it down this morning, with some liquid wrench stuff, and finished taking out the seats, and cleaning up the floor, I'd say 20 minutes it sat with the stuff on it..looks pretty simple now..seems to be just a few turns and it'll work. But with my luck it's going to turn into some ratchet tossing stuff...I'm sure the neighbor's by now are about fed up with the truck in the yard..for some reason, they don't understand ...hmm

thanks Rene

Brandy

5. tRustyK5

Nice combo, 32 spline SM 465 with a hydro clutch stock.

good luck!

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That is a pretty good setup. Just add a 205 and shafts and you've got the ultimate in stock setups IMO.

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

uugghh speak in laymans terms,,what the heck is a 205 and shafts...go ahead and laugh..I'm learning I'm learning!!

Brandy

8. tRustyK5

Sounds like Tim figures you should ditch the NP208 you have now in favor of a 32 spline NP205 (all gear cast iron bomb-proof T-case) I guess if you were gonna crawl it at Moab on 42's and a 600 hp big block that would be a good idea. In your case the NP 208 will serve you fine for many many years.
    A mostly street truck has no need for the hardcore parts...

Keep the NP 208

Tim, what's with all the dumb comments and inane advice to Brandy? It's gonna be a street truck, get over it unless you have something truly constructive to add.

Rene

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ouch!
    did he post more then swappin a 205 would be ultimate?
    seems harsh from you, kinda steppin on my terrian there as mean forum guy

10. tRustyK5

This has been going on in a couple of different threads now...

Besides...who said you get all the fun?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dont make me hurt your feelin's

12. tRustyK5

LOL...better be careful or I'll call the WAH-mbulance

Rene

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Thank you Rene- and your correct, seems every time I ask a question there is a smart a** comment....only good thing is know I have figured out who knows what they are talking about, and whose just blowin smoke....

thanks!
    Brandy