Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

figures - first snow of the season and truck won't start...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by el guapo, Dec 7, 2003.

1. el guapo

el guapo Registered Member

figures - first snow of the season and truck won\'t start...

my '86 K5 is a cold-blooded pig. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    305ci, 4x4, ~206,000 miles.
    i've got a good charge from the battery. pump the gas a few times, turn the key. it turns over, and really wants to start, but there's just no fire. the 'choke' light is lit, and i know i'm getting gas to the carb. all my spark plugs are in, boots are on, etc. i'm gonna go mess with the distributor next. i've got a full tank of gas. does anyone happen to know where the fuel filter would be on this thing? is it in-line, or is it in the carb (i think it's a quadrajet)? any help/advice greatly appreciated!

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Re: figures - first snow of the season and truck won\'t start...

I beleave it is on the passenger side of the carb /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I beleave it is on the passenger side of the carb /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right.

How long as it been since it ran? Sounds to me like your ignition module could have taken a crap or you flooded the engine. If you flooded it, you need 8 new plugs. If the ignition module went, you need a new one. Try some starting fluid, just a three second shot down the intake. See if it even tries to start then. If it won't start on starting fluid, it's not going to start...you've got an ignition problem.

4. el guapo

well, it ran 2 days ago, but it took a LONG time to start and it kept dying on me. after 20 minutes or so to warmup, it ran fine. fuel filter looks alright, and from what i can tell, the distributor looks healthy. by "ignition module" do you mean the coil?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, the ignition module is the electronic little gadget under the distributor cap that is the replacement for "points" that cars used to use a long time ago.

I'd say if it ran two days ago and had spark that is most likely not your problem.

Get an old plug out of the toolbox, hook a wire to it, ground it, and have your friend crank the motor over and find out if you have any spark.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Have you checked the choke? pop the top of the aircleaner and make sure it's closing.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you checked the choke? pop the top of the aircleaner and make sure it's closing.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree about the choke. When in doubt, put a manual choke on and take out the guess work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"Have you checked the choke? pop the top of the aircleaner and make sure it's closing"

Mine just did this to me after chiseled the ice off the choke horn it fired right up.

9. el guapo

aight, thx guys, i'll try that next.
    when i crank it, the "choke" light is lit on the dash and doesn't go out. what exactly is the light for?

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its just an indicater telling you that the choke is closed or what not..mine started acting up..(not closing/opening when it should, and stuck when it was warmed up, and wasted lots of gas) so i just put a manual choke on it and its been workin out great...

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    If you flooded it, you need 8 new plugs

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh....No. Please tell me you don't replace plugs or tell people to replace plugs everytime they flood thier vehicle.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

If the ignition module had gone out, it wouldn't try to start at all. There would be nothing. This is a choke and/or carb problem.

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my choke is set a little too much on the closed side so I flood it every now and then. I've probably done it like 5 times and I haven't replaced the plugs. Its just a bit of fuel?

13. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. the choke did not work right, put on a manule an it worked every time and by the way (KidJethro is right you dont need new plugs)!

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you flooded it, you need 8 new plugs

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh....No. Please tell me you don't replace plugs or tell people to replace plugs everytime they flood thier vehicle.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've yet to get a vehicle to start with gas fouled plugs.

"Trying" to start means a lot of things to different people. Common sense tells you that an engine without spark wouldn't be, "trying to start" but to some people, just the fact that the starter is turning makes them think an engine is, "trying to start". He also used the term, "No fire" which to me generally says that there isn't any spark. That's exactly how I talk when something causes a no spark condition. I'd say something like, "well, it was running fine, then all of a sudden, no fire at all."

I don't know how cold it is there, but to say that an engine wouldn't start at all because the choke wasn't working is just stupid unless it is stuck closed.

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You're not going to gas foul the plugs every time you flood the engine, and it will start fine without any choke at all. My K5 doesn't even have the choke hooked up and I've started it when it's 10 below, you just have to nurse the accelerator until it warms up. You replaced the coil? Double check for spark. Since it's an 86, you might have some goofy computer problem. If not, maybe check for ice around the dist. or any other ignition parts; something could be froze up. I'd still not rule out the ignition module either.

16. el guapo

well, the plugs are definately fouled now. i'll be replacing them, and probably the battery too (it died on me finally from all the cranking). will keep you guys informed - thanks for all the help so far /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

yeah i wouldnt rule out the ignition module either, i was wheeling the 87 and it just died, then fired right up, and i was drivin down the road about 5 other times and it just died, sometimes it would start up, sometimes it wouldnt, this was with new: rotor, cap, wires, plugs, fuel filter, 2 coils, and even had the damn thing checked at O'Reilly's and they said it was good, then as a last ditch effort, i replaced it, and no trouble since last winter. just something to ponder...

18. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well before you start throwin parts at it charge the battery don't just replace it. Pull the plugs and clean them don't just replace them. By the way, is the choke in ko order?? Did you check to make sure you have spark? Anywho's good luck to y'all.

Allan

19. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

yeah, i agree with the ignition module. the 1990 K-5 just had a problem like this last week. I would turn the key and to me it sounded like it was trying to start but nothing after that. i tryed pouring some starting fluid down it, that did nothing. i got a new coil and ignition module, put it in, and it started right up with 20 minutes to get to class. good luck
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. el guapo

well, the plugs were pretty much fouled - they absolutely reeked of gasoline. i replaced all 8 and charged the battery. she fired, and blew out a TON of black smoke (unburnt fuel?). that was last night, she started up this morning aight as well. also, the reason i couldn't find the fuel filter is because it's not there! will be installing that tonight.

now, if i could just fix my belt squeal and exhaust leak...

thanks to all who offered advice! it was much appreciated! i know you guys like pictures, so here's a link to some pics. the truck's not much right now (only had it about 3 months). since these pics, i've repaired all the surface rust and got it completely in black primer. routed the dual exhaust out in front of the rear tire, just behind the drivers side door. also added some mustang 5.0 emblems /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://02xblaze.home.comcast.net/beast