Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Figuring shock mount height

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyhole812, Nov 21, 2005.

1. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

did the 52" swap. 2" lift E-Z rides, got the poly performance 15" shocks now i'm trying to figure mount height. is there any way besides with a forklift? just trying to avoid hauling my truck to my work. will a straight edge from eye to eye work? going to make my own mounts out of plate or 1.25" hoops. thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

figure out where you want the mounting tab on the axle end, compress the suspension all the way to the bump stops and use a tape measure to figure out where the upper shock mounting position (hoop, tower, whatever) will be. Leave 1" of compression for fudge factor / really hard landings and you should be good to go... all the rest of the travel goes to droop.

j

3. crazyhole812

thanks jek, my main question is, is there a way to figure the point of the springs flattening without having to flex it. i don't have driveshafts made for it yet trying to avoid hauling to my forklift. but i can if it is the best way

4. crazyhole812

5. jekbrown

if you have a floor jack that can lift relatively high, you ought to be able to get the springs flat with that. I know I could with the 52s, as they are close to flat at ride height anyway. Should be fine using that method... I'd give myself an inch for fudge factor though. You're going to be using bump stops... right? :)

j

6. crazyhole812

the poly performance shocks have stops on them i tried my jack but couldn't get it high enough to flex much i think the longer wheelbase screws up the jacking method. dou you think it would be resonable to put a straight edge across from one eye to the other? or maybe an inch or two down from each eye? since i'm sure the spring doesn't flex much right at the eye.

7. jekbrown

you could just measure straight across, but the shackle tends to move under compression so where the rear spring eye is at ride height, and where it is under full compression are two different places to draw straight lines from. ;) It won't be perfect, but you could just use the jack to jack it up as much as possible... and then guestimate how much further it might move under full compression, add a little for fudge factor and call it good. With stock springs this is a lot easier, cause they are so flat at ride height. You have access to a forklift, if I was you I'd do the guestimate method and tack weld the tabs/hoops/towers on and then use the forklift to double check that everything is good to go before finishing the install.

j

8. crazyhole812

oh yeah i forgot, i am a dumbass or actually just stressed out from work. i guess i could just jack and block, jack and block huh. sorry for the hassle and thanks for the input. next time i say something like this send me a virtual kick to the sack

9. crazyhole812

well crap! i tried the blocking and jacking last night and i still only got about 2" of compression. i didn't want to ruin my jack. i did however find the bottom half of a body mount laying on the floor afterwards. anyone else have an idea before i load this turd up?