Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fill plug replacement for 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Jan 21, 2002.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I've had it with the fill plug for my rear 10 bolt.[​IMG] It's starting to round out on the inside and I'm afraid that one day I won't be able to remove it. Does anyone know what size and thread pitch it is (sort of looks like a metric size)? I would like to replace it with a hex bolt. TIA

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would pull the plug and go to Home Depot or a good hardware store. Thread it into some nuts until you get a match and you will know the size. Then, get you a good brass or socket head plug and all will be cool. I would be cautious about anything that would stick through the depth of the housing much like a bolt.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I'll be cutting the bolt so it won't protrud into the housing.
    I thought about matching plug, but since this is my only means of transportation, I was hoping someone knew off the top of their head. [​IMG]

4. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Is it threaded in to the cast housing or the cover? If it's in the cast housing it should just be 1/2 NPT. I would get the plug from NAPA. They have higer quality pipe fittings than Home Depot. If it's in the cover try the dealer.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

5. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Is it threaded in to the cast housing or the cover? If it's in the cast housing it should just be 1/2 NPT, if by chance 1/2" NPT is too big it wouldn't be smaller than 3/8" NPT. I would get the plug from NAPA. They have higer quality pipe fittings than Home Depot. If it's in the cover try the dealer.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It's on the housing but larger than 1/2. It's more like 3/4 but the NC and NF nuts I tried wouldn't fit, that's why I'm thinking it's metric. I may just end up taking tx85gmcguy's advice and pulling the plug in the parking lot and be done with it ...

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Get a small bolt which has a threaded end that fits snugly into the square hole on the fill plug, and weld it on there, or have someone weld it there. a muffler shop will do it for like $3. Now you can use a normal socket to get it out, and its a lot easier. This is what I did, and it works great.

90K5

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's 1/2" NPT. Just get one at Autozone.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Pipe thread ... DUH! [​IMG]