Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fill plugs on trans and t-case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chris12, Sep 3, 2006.

1. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Forest Ontario, 1/4 hr from Port Huron Michigan
    This might sound like a dumb quesion but my when i put my truck in nutreal and take my foot off the clutch im getting like a odd noise coming from my trans or t-case. I think it needs some oil added so were are the fill holes on the manual trans anf i have the NP 208 t-case i think if that sounds right and i see to big bolt, the one of the top is the fill and the one on the bottem is the drain. How do i know hoe much to put in the t-case .

Thanks in advace

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like your trans is the SM465. That sound is normal when you let the truck idle in nuetral. What you here is the whirring of the gears because the SM465 is extremely heavy duty with staight cut gears. Also the oil level in t-case shouldn't effect that all.

But to answer your drain plug question: on the SM465 the fill plug is about 1/2 way up on the trans on the driver's side. Also the drain plug for it is on the very bottom of it.
    On the t-case the fill and drain plug are on the back of it. The fill is towards the top and the drain is at the bottom. :smirk:

Not sure how much the NP208 takes, but the SM465 takes somewhere between 4-5 quarts of oil.

3. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Alright thank you. so im going to check the trans oil but how do i check that i dont see a dipstick for it or anything just maybe drian it out and fill it full.

4. Chevy305

you check it just like you check diff fluid level. You open the fill plug and if fluid runs out then its full if not add some till it does.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fill plug...

The oil should be up to the bottom of the filler plug hole...I usually remove the shifter and dump the oil in the top of the tranny,its much faster and easier than trying to use a squirt bottle--the filler plug is in a poor location to get at!...The SM465 holds a gallon of oil,not sure about the transfer case--just fill it to the filler hole,it'll be fine..:crazy:

6. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

So what you are saying is you just open up the fill plug on the trans or t-case if fluid comes out its fine and if it doesn't add some till it does. Thats the fill plug. Thanks Guys i really appreciate the help.

7. Chevy305

The PO of my truck must have done that because there was 2.5 gallons of gear oil in my transmission :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

Anyway in order to get at shifter you'd have to pull up the carpet and then the tranny hump. Not worth the dissasembly to do it that way.

8. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help in identifing my trans. got the fluid check and they were actually good. Thanks for the noise help aswell.