Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Filler neck problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JustHorsinArownd, May 16, 2003.

1. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Anybody else out there have problems with puttin gas in their trucks? I have to for all intensive purposes trickle the gas in. Takes me about 25 minutes to go from empty to full. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif This really sucks. Any ideas? Thanks is advance.

Allan

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

someone more experienced can back me up, but im pretty sure there is a secrren that can be replaced that may be full of crud. look into that maybe

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Try pointing the nozzle up a little bit and don't push it all the way in. If I put it all the way in I can't fill it at full flow. Chances are if you have a problem then a 98-01 Cavalier will have the same problem. The problem is that the head senses too much pressure. Cavaliers don't vent fast enough. Our trucks appear to have the same problem in combination with the filler tube bends. The other problem is the vent which "T"s into the filler tube pretty low in the filler tube. It seems it just can't escape fast enough. Someday I'll drill the holes a little bigger in the thing the gas cap screws into.

4. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Inverting the entire pump handle always works for me, and I know almost all of these trucks have this problem. I know this sounds nuts, but try it, It works.

5. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Full flow?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif That results in about 5 seconds until the nozzle cuts off. It's almost like there's a ping pong ball in the neck right at the inlet to the tank. I poked a wire down the line and it seemed to make it to the 90 into the tank. Hope that might help.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the last couple of trucks ive had have been modified by previous owners, they knocked out the spring loaded door and cut more of the metal out of the way to fully open up the opening, seems to help noticeably, i just dont put the nozzle all the way down into the openinga buddy of mine with a diesel 82 has a hell of a time filling with the pump nozzle, i feel sorry for him