Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

filler tube problem

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 12, 2001.

has anyone had any problems with their filler tube backing up while filling up? i put in fuel injection and since then i can only put about .50 cents at a time in without it shooting back at me. anyone have a suggestion or solution? thanks for any help.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Sounds like a vent problem.I did the same swap and havn't had any problems like that.What did you use for a return line?
    Could it be a kinked filler tube?

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BobK on 03/12/01 03:12 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Tman! Fill out your profile and become one with the K5 community[​IMG]!
    My filler does that too, but I figured out a way to make it not happen. I don't put the nossel all the way in. Just a little bit and then tilt it up. It's kinda tuff to make it work on thoes pumps that have the rubber coil around the nossel so on thoes kinds I have to hold the rubber coil back inorder for the pump to start!
    Good Luck
    Oh and I am not on AIM any more my work's IT department made us Kill it[​IMG]
    Later

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the filler solution, Burt4x. I've always had to fill-r-up the way you described. It's all in the angle of the dangle... so to speak.. and It's a damn good thing we don't have to use those rubber thangies here in CO.

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Same here. When it is really empty it splashes even more. I do one click for the first couple gallons and then I can go two clicks. I also barely put the nozzle in the filler tube.

I have a question for you guys. I have no interior bedside panels so you can see the filler hose. Do your filler hoses have a rubber hose shortly after the bed side that goes down to about 4 inches off the floor.

Mine has worked good for the 6 years I have had it but I am pretty sure it is not stock. The radiator hose clamps were my first clue. I would like at some point to put in a new tube. Any body know if these can be bought or made? Thanks.

70jimmy

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

The rubber hose and clamps are stock. If you need to replace it, LMC carries replacement fuel neck hoses in 2" and 2 1/4" ID for about $13.00. The rubber hose probably helps accommodate the (minimal) flex between the body and frame.

One trick mod that I have seen is to install a late model style filler door assembly on the bed side. This allows a more gradual curve at the top of the filler and alleviates the splash-back problem. Personally, I like the classic (and original) look of a good old-fashioned gas cap outside the body.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

70jimmy, my filler tube extends all the way to the floor of the bed. It's all metal inside of the cabin of the truck. GM could never have sold the Blazer with a rubber hose inside of the truck due to safety and health risks. They already had lots of other problems with the Blazer due to Ralph Nader and his bunch and didn't need one as visible and nasty as that.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've got the rubber on the inside of my blazer to. The metal extends about 6" down from the filler neck and from there down it is rubber hose. Mine doesn't spit out at me but I can't just set the pump in and leave it or it will click and stop like its full. I have to stand there and hold it the whole time.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Mine is all metal inside the bed. The only rubber I have is under the bed not inside.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Is the rubber inside the bed something that they fixed in '72?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

The main fill tube on my 72 is all metal, but not the little tube next to it....turns into rubber, halfway down.....

11. StevenB

StevenB Registered Member

The 69-70 Blazer/Jimmy had the rubber between the two metal parts in the cab.. The 71-72 has the all metal filler neck through the cab.