Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Filling block and being lazy.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fr8train, Dec 30, 2002.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I emptied all the water from the engine block and now I have to put new stuff in. Well, do I really have to take the thermostat out and fill from there or can I just fill the radiator up? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Feeling soooooooooooo lazy right now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd say take the time to take out the thermostat and fill the block...then reassemble. I don't see how it would work if you only filled up the radiator. The thermostat won't open until it senses the fluid that's been circulating in the engine is at the proper temp...if there was no fluid in the block to begin with, and it hasn't allowed any fluid into the block...what fluid is there to rise in temp and open the thermostat? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i just filled the radiator up until it wouldn't take anymore. than start the engine and continue filling. the water pump should put enough pressure in the system to push the fluid up against the thermostat.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have never taken out the thermostat and have always been okay. The block will fill from the bottom as you put water in the radiator. When you start it run it until it is at temp with the cap off to expell any air. As far as I know gravity has always taken the water through the unrestricted bottom hose and taken care of bussiness that way...

John

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if you fill the raditor up the water will get to the engine through the bottom hose, you will have to add more after you run it to temp....

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thanx guys. Steve there is supposed to be a hole in the thermostat that is used to purge the air in the system. Didnt know whether what I was told at the parts store was one of those old wives tales or not.

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Some have holes in the top but thats for temp sending unit from what I know.......