Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Filling Gas tank problem???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Mar 14, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Every time I go to fill up the 78' K5 it takes me forever, and this is every day in 20 below 0 weather so I need to know how to fix this.......If you dont go really slow with the fuel flow it will back up and click off...I mean you cant even put it on the first notch, and the weather has nothing to do with it it happens in the summer too, It's just not so bad because it's WARM out, so what can I do?? THX Mike

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Try turning the gas hose nozzle upside down when you put it in the filler neck - this works for me. Mine will click off as well if I don't hold it funny. Also, if you have been driving a while, there will be vapors built up in the tank - these will sometimes make the nozzle shut off, also - hold the nozzle so that it opens the little fuel door in your neck (if you have one) to let it vent out the vapors first. They can be quite finnicky, but usually the upside down hose trick works pretty well (have also had success by holding the rear of the handle "up", so that the nozzle points more directly down into the filler neck...

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep, had to do the same thing with my 79.

4. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

check your vent tubes......make sure they are clean and open. i had the same problem before and thats what it was. makes sense too. check it out......good luck...tmanofcali

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

pump gas, whats that??
    Oh, thats what the gas attendants do/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    We just tell them what grade and how much,LOL

aka
    pump jockeys
    petrolium transfer engineers

I'd check the vent lines too.
    I know when the new style dodge came out when they came in to the station my friend worked at he had them pull the back tire on a block of wood otherwise it would just kick it back. My friends ford is the same way.

6. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

This sounds like an option where do they happen to be I can see several hoses coming out of the tank how do I get to them? THX Mike

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

We USE to have the idiots pump gas- thats until we got the diesel- they dont' seem to understand the part about " IT FOAMS" dont keep going once it clicks etc.... nothing like having a beautiful pewter truck- with a NASTY SLOP CRAP down the side...

I haven't put gas in the Blazer yet- wonder if mines going to be a miserable one?

Brandy

8. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Usually, the vent tube runs along side the main fill hose (at least on mine). It will be the smaller of the two. There is also a double main fill hose type with a hose inside a hose, but I'm not sure if the Blazers had them. I had a '92 F150 way back that had the double type and it had the same problem; took 15 minutes to fill up from 1/2 tank.

The hose(s) located on the top of the tank are for the vapor canister, if equipped.

9. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

The guy at the gas station said that they just updated the vapor recovery systems in Arizona and it's a problem with older vehicles. He told me that it's the states way of harrassing those of us that drive older vehicles into buying the new junk they try to pass off as trucks. I'm keeping my Blazer untill they pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel, even if it takes an hour to fill it up.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> that's just not right , but I believe it !

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have problems with my dads truck ('74) but not on my '86. We have the vapor recovery systems, and that seems to be the real problem...the older tanks aren't vented except through the cap IIRC, so the new nozzles end up pressurizing the tank.

Not gonna work in 0* weather, but holding the vapor recovery shield back with one hand while pumping seems to work ok. Also, putting it on the lowest setting and getting back in the truck and taking a nap : )

I believe the fuel fill neck on the tank changed diameter as well sometime in the late 70's, that could be another problem, and might explain why playing with the nozzle angle solves the problem.

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The filler neck did change diameter. Later ones are larger.
    I installed a new gas tank for 81-87 on my 73 and I had to buy a new (larger ID) filler neck.
    The answer I got about it taking a long time to fill up the tanks was that the gas pump nozzle likes to occlude the vent hose, so if you only stick it in halfways it will do better.
    Yes, those vapor recovering systems are a PITA.
    When I fill up my motorcycle, it's a b**ch and it sucks on my Chevy too.
    -- Mike