Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Filling in holes on body

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by hi pinion, Oct 20, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I have some small holes in one of my cars, because the old emblems were there, i was thinking how to fill these holes??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So i can repaint my car. I wouldnt want to use filler, but to fill them with metal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Why not use filler? It's not like you're going to have to worry about rust. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Im just worried about filler not working. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif i dont want the paint to get done, and then have problems with holes re-appearin later /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not use filler? It's not like you're going to have to worry about rust. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Yep...dent them in...fill'm. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I'd MIG them...myself...
    If you take your time...
    and get the welder dialed-in...
    NO filler should be needed.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

YOu weld the holes then grind it smooth.

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Definitely mig weld then smooth. Turn the wire speed up a little too high and you can do it in one quick pass.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Its not for my beater chebby, its for my 1960s muscle car /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i would want to ding it in, then fill it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was thinking it would be a pain to weld a hole up,i would think it would make it bigger. Mabey just "build it up" with the welder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

actually if you have access to the back side i have seen and heard of people using small washers (like backing washers for rivets) to help weld up the hole, you have a nice backing piece of metal to, use a rivet or a nail to hold it place then when done push the nail/rivet through and weld up the tiny washer hole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I think my membership has paid for itself 10x over already /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif keep em comming !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Its not for my beater chebby, its for my 1960s muscle car /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i would want to ding it in, then fill it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was thinking it would be a pain to weld a hole up,i would think it would make it bigger. Mabey just "build it up" with the welder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can call it a mustang, it's ok.

That is how it's done. You weld the holes shut and grind them smooth. It is easy if you know how to weld well.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The other trick to MIG'ing the holes shut is to use a backing material like copper or aluminum when you weld. It gives the filler a backer so that the weld can puddle up and fill the hole, but it doesn't stick to the weld. When you're done, you can easilty remove the backer and it looks good from both sides....

I've had reasonable success using old license plates as backers (aluminum) but I'd like to try a thicker piece of copper to prevent the occasional burn-through...

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I've had reasonable success using old license plates as backers (aluminum) but I'd like to try a thicker piece of copper to prevent the occasional burn-through...

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, I've had great success using thin brass as a backer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    YOu weld the holes then grind it smooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats it right there. Plain and simple. Weld it, then grind it. Any questions?

14. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Welding works best. I was able to use a brass backing plate to help fill the holes. I've also used fiberglass reinforced filler with success. But perfer welding. For a nice 60's car I vote for welding.

15. michaeltouche

michaeltouche Registered Member

I used finishing nails, drop the head in the hole the weld the head till melded the the body. grind smooth touch up with some body filler