Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

filling rust holes

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by k5redneck, Oct 20, 2004.

1. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

im new to this whole fixing blazer up thing so im going to need some help. i just got a 74 k5 yesterday and its in need of alot of body work. the front fenders and hood i know i can replace(thats easy), but for the rear fenders i have no idea what to do /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. they are rusted allmost all the way around the wheel wells. the rockers are rusted out but i have allready have made plans to put sliders in instead of replaceding them. so how do u fill the rust holes with out replacing the rear frnders?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LMC and some other places sell pieces that you can use to repair rusted out areas. I even bought some but didn't use them cuz they looked thin and difficult to make look good.

I opted to just cut it all out - I had rust on the top of the well, in the front and most of the rear for 4-5" was rusted through. Opted to weld tube in as a replacement. A friend of mine did the welding and I did the body work after the welding. I'm very very happy with it and the wheel wells are stronger than ever, and it kinda looks like it's part of the slider.
    [​IMG]

3. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

thanks i will keep that in mind.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hey, that looks pretty good, I might try that on my '72.

Do you have that whole thing rhino'd or something?

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, I Durabak'd the exterior and Linex'd the interior. It's easy to keep clean and the exterior stuff went on with a roller. Some people have done their exterior and didnt' like it. I love mine.

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

That Durabak looks great.What kind of cost goes along with it? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I think it was $100 a gallon. I could have doen the whole exterior of the truck with 2 - 2 1/2 gallons, but I mixed that color from 2 gallons of blue, 1 of black and a pint or less of red. I didn't need much black to mix, so I did the topper and top of the cab in black. Did the wheels wells front and rear in black too. Did 3 coats on everything. Had some red left so did the inside of a big surplus storage box. Not bad for $200-300, some xylene and a roller.

8. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Kewl, I'm on it...Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif