Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

filling tires with foam????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by darkshadow, Jan 10, 2007.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

just had the thought i have a flat in the tire of my snowblower, its a tubeless so it is probably just a sliped bead.

thinking since i have a large amout of hilti expanding foam, of filling the tires with it, it would preserize them a bit and would not deflate over the summer from sitting, good bad or not worth it?

2. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

You would probably have to drill holes all around the tire to let the foam expand or it may not fill properly.

Plus that stuff expands like 5 times it's size so you better give it some place to go or it may blow the tire off the rim when it expands......:eek1:

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't think you would have a problem with it taking tires out. I've used it on some rubber type items that have way less strength than tires and the foam didn't blow that stuff up............................................

DISCLAIMER: For you sick psychos that will key up on that statement, it wasn't a blow up anything or a container that came out of a box that said Trojan............

It was a truck part.

****ing wankers:rolleyes:

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

although, after a while, even a short while, the foam would eventually breakdown, and you would be left with the same flat tire.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wont work....

I've tried using that "Great Stuff" sealant foam in small tires on riding mowers,and it didn't work for S***!..made a mess of the tires,they went flat almost immediately again,and it was pure hell trying to remove them from the rims and empty it out of the tires..in fact,I ended up swapping 2 other tires and rims onto my tractor!..

Most small pneumatic tires are now made with crappy vinyl like rubber, that'll rip if you try putting a tire plug in one,your better off using a tube,or just getting a new tire, once its punctured really..I used tire patches on the inside of punctured riding mower tires,along with an inner tube,to get every last mile out of them!..

I'd seen the tires on Forkloaders at junkyards that had the tires filled with special foam,to eliminate flats from running over scrap,but that stuff is evidently way different foam than what we get from Home Depot,etc..stuff is mucho costly too,about 200 bucks to fill one loader tire!..:eek1:

I've had good luck with those new "Slime" filled inner tubes,and tires that are made by the same company (with GREEN rubber!)..they just seal themselves up with the "Slime" if a nail or other object punctures them!..they sell just the "Slime" too,if you just want to dump it in your tubes or tires too..I've seen it at Lowes and Home Depot in the lawn and garden section....but new tires don't cost much more than the "Slimed" inner tube does..:crazy:

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I sell custom medical equipment for a living and most of what I sell is custom wheelchairs. Just about all of the chairs I sell have "flat free" (foam filled) tires. These tires last years. In fact most of the time the tread will wear off the tire before the foam gives any problem. Come to think of it I don't ever remember the foam in a tire giving a problem. I'm not sure what kind of foam it is but it holds up very well.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

DAMN!:haha: :haha: :haha:

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

it can work, we had a swamping mower we used to take out to the mudhole and used that stuff under the steps and fenders and in the tires... it held up for about 3 weeks til we hydrolocked it, were it me, id inflate them and take them off for the summer...

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I know it wouldent blow the tire off, i could fill it around the rim, then seat it and pull the valve to let it release. It wont brake down unless exposed to UV light, covered it will stay forever.

i am considering it because i was trying to fill it but, the bead wont seat on the plactic rim air keeps leaking past.

i just tryed it today so i will need use some tire sealant or somthing on the rim first if i dont foam it.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

We used to do that with wheelbarrow tires when I was doing landscaping. Break the bead, fill with foam, allow to harden, done.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I did the same thing but ya gotta rotate the wheel while it hardens or it wil have a flat spot...

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

its off the blower right now so its not a problem