Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"filter" on vacume line to brake booster?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Aug 25, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

\"filter\" on vacume line to brake booster?

What is this thing for? will it ever get cloged and need to be rplaced? On my old truck it didnt have one of those. whats the deal? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Re: \"filter\" on vacume line to brake booster?

Im not 100% sure, but i beleive its a check valve so if the engine backfires it wont blow out the diaphragm in the booster.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

That would make sence.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It is a check valve, but its main purpose is to prevent the loss of vacuum within the booster assembly when the engine is shut off. The booster is designed to provide about 2 applications of the brake pedal after the vacuum source (the engine) is no longer available. Try pressing your brake pedal a few times while the engine is off. It will feel pretty normal for the first couple of pumps, then it will get much harder to press. The check valve is a fail-safe mechanism designed to let power brakes function properly if the engine stalls. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

OK cool. Thanks for the info Harry, So this it cant realy go out and prevent vacume from getting to the booster can it?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's very rare for one to fail. And usually when it does fail, it doesn't seal up well when it "closes", as it should when the engine is off.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If you mean the thing that looks like an inline gas filter(not the check valve that plugs into the booster)that is in the vacuum hose about 1/2 way to the booster--its a charcoal filled canister that absorbs the blowby and fuel vapors to prevent them from rotting out the rubber diaphram in the booster--they started using them around 1973 or so. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI dont know how effective they are though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    will it ever get cloged and need to be rplaced?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! The one on my 90 Jimmy became clogged after I replaced the booster. I thought I had left the vaccuum line unhooked, but I checked and it was there. I pulled the filter off and tried to blow through it (the correct way) and I couldn't. I went to the parts store and got another and tried to blow through it, and I could almost breathe through it. The clogged filter was keeping my booster from getting full vaccuum, which resulted in a hard pedal.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Yeah thats what i mean that little fuel filter llokin thing. Well that would make good sence then becasu i do have an ever hardening peddle