Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Filter Question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BARRAZA, Oct 4, 2002.

1. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

In my junkyard adventures gathering parts for my m1008, I picked up a factory firewall mounted cannister type fuel filter. The one with the screw on filter with the drain cock on the bottom. My truck has the rectangular filter held on with clips. Is one better than the other? Is there and advantage to running them both in series? If so, which one should the fuel flow through first? Or should they be mounted parallel?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The rectangular one seems have problems with leaking from the base itself. (That's what happened to mine) I assume yours does not leak, so I wouldn't bother eliminating it until it does. I would save the canister one as a cheap backup as a new base for the rectangular one is over $400 CDN. (I've heard you can also install a pipe plug in place of a particular sensor that usually leaks).

If you run two filters, they should be in series. Find out what you can get in the way of filters for both units. They are usually rated for a certain micron level. The idea is to run a coarser filter with water separation for the primary, and a finer filter for the secondary.