Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Filthy intake manifold: Clean it or buy a new one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Aug 5, 2002.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

My stock intake manifold is downright filthy, and coated with carbon. I'd like to stay with the stock manifold so I don't have to screw with anything. Any of you know a place in the south west metro Denver area (south Lakewood/north Littleton) that could clean it for a decent price, or how much a stock manifold for a '85 350 would cost from GM or a good aftermarket manifold that I wouldn't have to buy a whole bunch of additional parts or screw with too much?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get an Edelbrock Performer. No modifications at all.

3. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

If you want to have it cleaned you could check with a shop that rebuilds motors are heads, are even a shop that has a bead blast cabinet.If you decide to replace it make sure the intake is designed for the rpm's that your motor runs best at. A intake designed for high rpm's does not work good at low rpm's.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If it's a cast iron manifold then any big machine shop should have a "hot tank" they could dip it in and strip it down to bare metal. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I had mine tanked for about $20.00. Looked great. They'll also check it for warping. Any engine shop can do it.

6. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

GM dealers have a nasty chemical called Top Engine Cleaner that "melts" carbon in about an hour. It costs between $5-10. I have used this on valves (placed in a old coffee can) and it worked great. Should work just as well for you. Just finding the right way to get rid of it can be tricky.

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Just have it hot tanked, pick up the yellow pages and call just about any place that says that they do head work, engine work, etc... If you have some sort of technical training school arround they may hot tank it really cheap for you.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Oven cleaner works pretty good.