Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Final peice of the Puzzle, The Klune

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DBLAZER, Jul 24, 2002.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well, I ordered my Klune V "Goliath" today.[​IMG] Should be here in about 4 weeks. I am stoked.[​IMG] This is the last major component that I needed to get this build up done. I mulled it over for a while, and jumped bake and forth between adding a doubler to my rig or not. But after talking to Stephen W. @ ORD, (who was very friendly and took the time to speak with me on the phone) I decided to go ahead and get the Klune. The Goliath has a 2.7 to 1 low range. this is going to be great, in the sand and mud. Then normal on the trail and Rocks, I will run my 3.8 Atlass , then when I really wanna crawl, I will put into LOOOOW, LOOOW and be able to crawl (@ about 161.1 to 1)
    I opted for the Klune over the doubler for a few reasons. With the doubler I would have had to come up with a 203 case, which I don't have, clean it up, send it off to be chopped, change out my input shaft on my Atlass, and it would not be quite as low. (barely) I also have a couple of freinds running A Klune and they love them. Anyways, just wantyed to share, NASH

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what is the price on that klune box? how hard is the install? i look at that thing like last year and was thinking about geting one, you say your friends are running them? what are their setups? High horsepower? big tires? i just want to know how tough they are

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="red"> what is the price on that klune box? </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I am payinng less than what I would pay if I were getting it for full retail. The normal price for The unit I am getting, THE GOLIATH , is 1895.00</font color>

<font color="red"> you say your friends are running them? what are their setups? </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">The guy I know running it is driving a rig called Frankentaco, it is a pretty strong Toyota. I don't know how much horsepower he is running, but I do know that he runs a supercharger ob his motor. He also has an Atlass II behind like me. He is running the "DAVID" model. It has a 4.1 , but does not handle the torque of the bigger and stronger built "GOLIATH" </font color>

<font color="red">High horsepower? big tires? i just want to know how tough they are </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="#666666"> I am running a 350, with the Atlass, and 42's, from everything I know, I think this thing should be hella stout. It is also simple to use. And only 6 inches long. Like I said I am pretty excited. </font color>

4. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

cool deal nash,

when's the projected date for your build up to be complete???
    i'd love to see your k5 (or what's left of it) out on the trail.

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> Man, I would love to see it out on the trail!!!!!! </font color> [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I am hoping that the new suspension will be up and running within the next month and the Klune should be here in a month or so!!!

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what would you have to 'chop' on a 203?
    what tranny do you run?must be an auto of some kind.
    you are rich obviously

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> It is my understanding that when installing a doubler only the fromt half of the case is used. </font color>
    <font color="blue">Yes I am running an auto, a 700r4. </font color>
    [​IMG] <font color="blue"> Wow, thats funny, I must be rich, why because I work my ass off and budget myself so that i can build the rig I want , not the one I wish I had??? </font color>

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the range box unbolts from the chain section. no cutting required, the doubler kit contains all the custom stuff for ~$700 I believe, bolt in deal.
    at least $2000usd in range box and adapters the adapters for my truck were over $500 and IIRC there was a pair required, $2000usd transfer case.
    that is some serious cake

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

700 bucks, I don't think so, when I spoke to Steve the numbers added up to about 1300, and that did not include getting the input shaft changed on my Atlass, which was not cheep either. The price dufference was actully not that big. Also I am not paying 2k for my Klune, it is considerably less.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

$740 for the basic kit, $160 for a short shaft for 700r4, the most common 203 range box ~$50, your jeep TC must be where the extra money is.
    for my application the Doubler priced way under 1/2 a Klune.
    I see they dont list prices anymore on their website.
    it was the insane price of adapters that kicked the price up by a ~$1000

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey, this is Nashu's project and his money. He can do what he wants with it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Can't wait to see this bad truck someday! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dont care what he does with his ride, just looking to see the reasoning behind some of his choices.
    I dont think correcting a 'send my 203 out to be cut' statement is a crime.
    I am also very curious about the price he is paying for the Klune.
    perhaps his application require none of the billet gold adapters that AA is so incredibly proud of that drove the cost to the stupid level that put the Klune into the 'not XXXXXXX likely' catagory for most of us, or perhaps the price has been adjusted to a sane level.

His observations on cost are exactly the opposite from what I found so it peaked my curiousity, his incorrect statement on the custom work required got me posting.

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Going with the numbers that I got from Stephen, the adapters I would need to run it with my Atlass, the price of changing the input shaft out on my Atlass, and the price was not 930, it was upwards of 1300. Add to that the fact that Steve was telling me that with the 203 the Atlass shifters have an issue hitting and getting in the way of the 203 shifter. With the Klune I don't have to deal with the shifter issue at all, te Klune gives me the ability to mount it's shifter wherever I want. The 203 also pushes the Atlass shifters into the back seat area. AGAIN, this is from STEPHEN. I also like the lower gear set that the klune gives me. The klune is more, but I think it is worth getting.

From the beginning of my build I have been questioned about the money, and the way. Some of the cheep folks around here said I was spending too much, I can get it cheaper form a junkyard, rebuild blah blah. That is not my way. I figure build it once. I ran this rig through some of the toughest stuff around, Montrose, Disney, Clayton, Pouteo (or however it is spelled), The slabs, and runnin trails here damn near every weekend. For two years, not a single issues. In two years I busted a couple of ujoints, and a two Stub Shafts in my D60. So I guess spending a little money up front and not half assin it has paid off.

If you are wondering why I seem a little perturbed, it is because you come across as a jerk and I am not the only one to see it. You are right, it is my truck and my cash. I appreciate the input and your numbers. Like I said, the info I was given to run with the parts that I have was different. If you were not trying to be the way you came across, then my apologies, if so, well, oh well.[​IMG]

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I wasnt wondering at all.
    I see more money then brains on these sites all the time.

15. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Awesome Nashu, its your rig and your money build it anyway you want to, way to be original /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Lets see some more pics of your rig and the Klune when you get some free time /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

sorry to be off topic . but mj was it dumb of me to pay what i did for ORD's old 1/2 ton axles ?? i wish to know .

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you do seem to think that the previous owner makes them more valuable then other 10bolts.
    are you a sucker for punishment or something?

18. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

how could that be ? i would certainly think that they would be more valuable than a stock set of the 10 bolts . but they arent a stock set of 10bolts . it is a 10 b front and 12 bolt rear . im not going to list all the items that have been added to them to make them good and strong . no im not a sucker , i was just wondering what your opinoin might be seeing as you have no idea what kind of wheeling i do or what my truck is equipped with . your reply was pretty humorus tho .

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

but
    I do know what can and cannot be done to 10 and 12 bolt axles and that after spending a fortune on them it is very rare to find a 'greater fool' to relieve you of the lemons.
    someone is very fortunate to have you idolize them and willing to parade around the fact you bought their cast aways.

20. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i never saw me parading ? did you ? i was just letting you know where they came from and thinking that u wer as smart as u pretend be would know what has been done to them . what if i had said hey mj i just bought joe bobs ole 10 bolts ? or i coulda just kept the ones i had on it and tried to run 35s,Bahhh . how much is a fortune to you mj? i dont think i spent a fortune on them . as for that even if i do have probs with the front not being strong enuff then ill tell ya what im gonna do . im going to take the d60 out of my CUCV and im gonna convert it to 1/2 ton brakes and 6 lug and stick with my rear 12 bolt . just to ...well nevermind youll just put me and my idea down again to get another good ole ego boost .