Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINAL UPDATE : I'm stuck...Warn hubs & checking wheel bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Aug 10, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

FINAL UPDATE : I\'m stuck...Warn hubs & checking wheel bearings

See my final update below...thanks to all for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

=============================================

See update in below post...thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

=============================

Ok, I got the wheel off and the brake caliper off. I have Warn standard hubs. I locked the hubs like it says in the Chiltons and unscrewed the bolts...the whole assembly pictured below came off, which is different than what the Chiltons says. 1st off...was this the right thing to do?
    [​IMG]

Now I'm stuck b/c I'm not sure what to do next. I can't get the snap ring off b/c of the gear in the middle of the pic below...it looks like it's held in by that bolt/screw at about 10 o'clock, which looks like it's stripped. Do I need to remove that bolt? I'm a bit nervous about removing it b/c I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back in being stripped. Is this a bolt/screw that I can pick up at a hardware store or something? Could call Warn and get the right piece I'm sure...thought I could maybe find it locally. Any help would be appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: I\'m stuck...Warn hubs & checking wheel bearings...need help please

Ok you are almost there. There is a snap ring right in the middle there on the axle shaft. That needs to come off. There is another snap ring that goes all the way around the hub body. Look close you'll see it sittng in a little groove small screwdriver or scribe will pop it out. After you get that out. Take two of the allen bolts that hold the hub dial on and screw them back into the hub (handles) then it should pull straight out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> To get that snap ring off of the stub shaft just push in the middle gear part that's held on with a screw. It should push in plenty far to get the snapring off but you might need to rotate the hub/rotor a bit to get it to index properly. Then get that outer snapring off and screw in two screws to use as a handle, as mentioned previously. </font>

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the new style circlips that retain the hub have to be threaded out and in
    PITA

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if you undo the centre snap ring,
    and remove that little retainer screw
    the centre gear and a spring will pop out
    as you are going to pull it apart to clean and regrease on the bench that is no big deal.
    I have never had the little screw block the big outer snap ring from coming out but they can be a BEAR to pull

6. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch for the help guys. Here is the first bearing (and the first one I've ever seen before! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)...what should I be looking for as far as wear? Notice the big rip/crack in one of the spindles...is this bad news or is this pretty standard? Also, how much should that inner ring move in and out?

Also, all the stuff I've pulled out so far to get to the bearing...should I soak all that stuff in gasoline to get the old grease off? What do you guys use for a solvent?

Also, when I reassemble, do I just start slapping new grease everywhere? Oh, yeah, I bought a bearing repacker so I'm good there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Moderator...I'm not sure what the max # of pics or space is for one post...if I'm over my limit, let me know...sorry! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that isnt a spindle that is a roller bearing.
    it is now junk
    did you do that on disassembly?
    the spindle is the thing the hub rode on

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah that big scratch is BAD...there should be almost NO scoring at all in the rollers...use a parts cleaner sovlent or gasoline to clean the old grease before repacking, you can buy a bearing packer for like 30 bucks or just do it by hand, put a big goop of grease in one palm, and press the bearing, wide side down into the grease all the way around until grease comes out the top...WHEW..take deep breath...
    good luck

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the warn locking hubs need only a light smear of grease.
    if you pack them full you will get NO power to front wheels as it will hydraulic lock

10. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Right, right...roller bearings not spindle. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nope, didn't do that on disassembly...that's the way it came out. Looks like I need to hit the auto parts store.

Now for some more questions... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    1. Should there be two wheel bearings for each front wheel? All the stuff I'm looking at (shop manual, Chiltons, Haynes) shows an inner and an outer. When I disassembled the only one that came out is the one pictured above. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. When I disassembled, I used the bearing nut tool (big thing w/ 4 prongs on the end). I expected I would have to use some force to loosen the nuts, but to my surprise I was able to screw them out by hand just using an extension on the bearing nut tool. This normal?

3. Got to thinking last night...whenever my ride is cold, I always get kind of a screeching sound (not constant, increases as speed increases) from my front left tire for the 1st 1/2 mile or so and then it goes away. I'm wondering if this is related to that bad wheel bearing???

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do you have the entire hub off?
    the inner bearing is still in the hub behind the seal
    you will need the matching races for the bearings while you are at the parts store
    easiest way to pull the inner bearing is to have the hub on the spindle with the outer bearing out
    thread the nut on the spindle a bit
    then using the hub as a slide hammer pull it off the spindle
    the inner bearing will stop when it hits the nut and will knock the seal off as well

12. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, got the entire hub off. Actually, when I removed the nut that has the 4 places for the prongs (and it has a little nipple on it), I could see the writing on the bearing where it said "MADE IN USA". I could feel the hub was loose so I grabbed it and pulled it off and the bearing fell out. I looked in the hub for the other bearing but I'm not seeing it. Am I going crazy??? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. MTBLAZER89

No it's inside of the wheel hub. Put the wheel hub on the ground with the back side of it up. There is a seal there use a large screwdriver or something similar to pop it out. The other bearing is under that. The seal keeps it from falling out. If you are replacing bearings you have to replace the race too (what the bearings spins inside of) These are inside the wheel hub. Get a clean rag and wipe out the inside of the hub. You should be able to see one race on each side. These need to be knocked out from the back side with a brass drift. If you don't have one grab one when you pick up your new bearings. After you get the old races out make sure everything is clean frsh grease in the bearings. Torque specs for those nut are in the manual.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do NOT use a large screwdriver to pull it out
    use the hub and spindle as I descibed
    why destroy the seals when they may be reuseable?

15. MTBLAZER89

[ QUOTE ]
    why destroy the seals when they may be reuseable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause they are like $2 a piece. Sorry just my opinion I don't reuse seals anywhere. They are too cheap to even worry about.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's a good tip anyways...especially if you're on the trail and don't happen to have an extra $2 seal with you.

Rene

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

its worth replacing those seals when its apart, if you're putting in new bearings, races and seals, go ahead and replace that 5 dollar seal...

18. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

in response to question number two: ya all you need the specialty tool (that thing with the four prongs)for is to break loose those two parts inside the hub, the spacer in between just pulls out, and as for the rest of it, just stick your finger in there and whirl it around a bunch of times and it will come out easy as pie. And just so you dont kick your self later make sure to put all the parts of the hub back in the direction they were facing when you took them out. Ive had many a sleepless night wondering about whether or not a part was put back in the right way.
    And on a side note, its nice to see more and more people diving into this kind of stuff. Keep up the good work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help guys...I really appreciate it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's where I am. I got that seal out (using small screwdriver) and the inner bearing, and then got both the inner and outer racers out w/ a brass drift and hammer. Got the inside of the hub all cleaned up and ready for reassembly. Inspected the inner racer and bearing and they look OK so I think I'll reinstall them. Besides, the new inner bearing I got from NAPA today is smaller than my current one for some reason....must be wrong part or wrong brand. My used inner bearing is Timken (least that's what is says on it).

Another question...
    How do I get the racers back in? Do I grease them lightly and then tap them in w/ the brass drift and hammer again? I read in the Haynes that I might want to have a shop press in the new racers? What do you guys think?

20. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status