Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINALLY! After 8+ months, it runs, but....(long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sample, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

I have had this '83 K5 sitting in my backyard for 8 months. I let my wife's friend's husband store it there while he got back on his feet and could store it. After 6 months he still hadn't touched it, so I bought it for a small price. He said that it ran fine, but started stripping it to do a full restore, since he had no job he had a lot of time, but his apartment complex didn't like a stripped vehicle in the lot.

I fully restored the interior, sanded and primed the exterior, still waiting on the paint to come. I reassembled the carb. Wouldn't start. No fuel, find the power wire on the fuel pump cut. Fixed that, now no spark. I replaced cap, rotor, coil, ignition module, still no spark, got a used HEI, no spark, got another used HEI, no spark. I rigged a little test bench type thing up and mied and matched parts until I got a spark out of one of the 3 distributors.

Put that in, finally got it to start, no it feels like a couple cylinders aren't firing. Replaced 2 plug wires and all 8 plugs. Now running on all cylinders.

Now, here are my problems:

1. It puffs a little white smoke at idle and when you rev it it puts out a little more. The exhaust reaks of fuel. What could that be?

2. It sounds as if there is several noisy/sticky lifters or a large exhaust leak. Are there any ways to quiet a noisy lifter? Thinner oil? Marvel mystery oil?

3. The original motor was a 305, but a 350 was dropped in about 5 years ago, judging from the paper work i got. I cannot figure out where all the vacuum/smog hoses go. The VECI label on the radiator is for the 305, not all of the components match between the motor and the label. Anyone have a diagram for an '83 with a 350? I need this to pass emissions.

Remember this Blazer has not run in atleast 8 months.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

lately i've been spending alot of time getting my 74 k5 running. Up until i started working on it i really knew nothing about working on cars, luckily i had a few friends who helped me along the way and i have learned alot.

When we first got mine running the distributor was shot and missing quite often on 2 cylinders and the carb was way out of adjustment there was so much fuel coming out the exhaust u could barely breath standing behind the truck and the backfires were downright scary, looking like a flamethrower. And i had a reasonable exhausit leak as well which got much worse with one nasty backfire which blew the muffler apart. At least u have got the distributor sorted out now u need to adjust the carb and check for that exhaust leak u think you may have. As far as checking for exhasut leaks get a cheap 1 dollar cigar and light that up and crawl under the truck moving it slowly around the joints of the exhaust, if you find a leak the cigar will glow brighter.

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yeah, the fuel sounds like the carb is mistuned, but your valves may be sticking or not fully closing too.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

hey Sample this is Shawn that guy from gilbert az, So ya got yours running eh, well I got my distibuter, heads, headers, pistons, rockers, lifter rods, new wires, rotor, spark plugs, welded new flanges to the headers and installed my new 3'' pipes and flowmasters hooked up the radiator and it rums after setting and adjusting the rockers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its alive call me so ya can come buy some time or if ya want some help.

Shawn, 480-703-4251 btw I might want to sell the panasonic cd player if your still interested! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Have you driven it at all or just run it for a little while? my truck was down for about 3 weeks and when I started it, there was lots of white smoke, and the exhaust smelled like gas really bad for a little while...seems like older engines do that when they have been sitting. As for the ticking, pour a little ATF down the carb. If lifters are stuck, that may help...other than that, drive it. Tapping could be due to lifters, valves etc not seeing a lot of oil in 8 months. Driving it a little will probably at least get rid of the smoke, maybe the tapping...actually check the oil first for any signs of water, which would also cause white smoke,...in that case might have a bad head gasket, dont drive it.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First, I had a 79 with a 350, and when it sat for more than 4 months, it smoked for a few days when I started it, but then cleared up.
    But I know my engine was still great, I think it was mostly the old fuel that made it smoke.
    Now is the smoke Blue/grey or is it black?
    If it's black and you smell gasoline from the exhaust then you have a ruch condition.
    If it's grey smoke then you have bad rings, and/or valve guides and seals.

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    As for the ticking, pour a little ATF down the carb. If lifters are stuck, that may help...

[/ QUOTE ] Actually, the ATF down the carb will do nothing for the lifters. It will help remove some of the carbon build up in the combustion chamber. ATF in the oil will help "clean" the lifter because of all the detergents in ATF&gt; Change the oil after you put ATF in though. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Shawn, I will have to get with you soon.

Well, I have only driven around the block about 3 times, so some of my problems may clear up. I have already put a bottle of Marvel mystery oil in the engine. I can't really drive it too much since it isn't registered or insured yet. I can't get it registered until I can get it up to pass emissions.

The ticking noise only happens while in gear and hitting the gas, light or to the floor, the ticking increases steadily with the RPMS, but only while in gear. I can't rev in park or nuetral and get no noises at all.

I was going to try and adjust the carb, but have no clue where to start.

Oh and the smoke is definetly a white with maybe a little gray to it. It isn't burning coolant, the smell is totally different. My smoke smells of gas.

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

If it's only ticking in gear then it's probably going to be a cracked flexplate or something that effect. Does it do it in nuetral too? Mine ticked like that but it turned out to be the 6 bolts that hold the tranny in were all missing /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

As for the smoke it sounds like it might need to burn off some stuff in the cylinders. Try hooking the vac advance on the distributor to the lower left port on the carb. Just a straight hose, no tee's no nothing else. Then on the lower right port hook a straight hose, no tees, no splits, to the smog pump. There is a small fitting on the back. In between the carb and the distributor there is a fitting coming out of the manifold. Hook a hose from that to the selonoid on the firewall next to the tranny dipstick. Plug the other hole that comes off of that fitting if there is one. Hook a hose to your EGR and then plug it. This should cover your basic vacuum hookup. It's how my blazer is routed. And I passed emissions with no probs. All that other stuff I threw away. I removed that big ugly thing on the water neck and replaced it with a brass plug.