Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally ALMOST compkete

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Oct 3, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I finally got my newly rebuilt engine into my 86 K5. Got rid of the guttless 305 and swapped w/ a 355.
    I had SO many problems swapping a 1978 engine in the place of the 1986 application. Had to put headers, dual exhaust, etc...
    I found out that using the original (newer HEI distributer) is a BAD thing...Now looking for an older system to avoid computer crap. I am also needing to change the carb set up.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a carb/intake combo to put on it? Would an old, pre 1974 HEI system be easy enough?
    Has any one put headers in place of the stock manifold, with A/C??? What did you do with the A/C bracket that use to hook to the manifold?
    Any inyput would be awesome.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Any year HEI that isn't computer controlled would work for you.Just make sure the Dist. has a vacume advance and you should be set.
    Summit,Jeg's or your local wrecker will have them.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif You should be able to order a adapter bracket for your AC from Jeg's /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The Edelbrock performer is a good intake. Right now I'm running a 600 Edelbrock carb and it has decent power. A lot of people here like the Q-jet, but I havent tried it yet.

I believe that the ESC distributor can be converted to the older setup. You will need a new module and maybe a couple other parts, but I'm not real sure.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You got your answers for the HEI and the A/C.
    For the Carb and intake, Edelbrock DUal plane is the best I have tried, and the Q-Jet so far has been the best for off road unless you want to go with the new Holley Truck avenger.It is the best for rock crawling and at under $400 I think it's a good deal.
    IceMan

6. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advise.
    I have picked up an Edelbrock carb, and will get the performer manifold after class tomorrow....Maybe I will get things ironed out before the weekend.
    What does everyone think about just cutting the A/C bracket that hooks to the first of the two studs on the exhaust ports, to make the stock manifold fit..
    I was told that the Hooker Headers I ordered would use the stock AC bracket... Why didn't it work?
    Ed