Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally an upgrade.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BizeeB65, Sep 9, 2006.

1. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Well, I havent posted much on CK5 lately cause I have spent more time reading and hunting down parts that I care to talk about.

I am about midway through finishing crossover steering on my Blazer, and I am very excited. I have spent the past year of ownership fixing and repairing the neglect/ghetto-fabbing from 33 years of previous owners.

Had the flat top knuckle, and sent it to be machined locally. Sky-manufacturing tall hi-steer arm for the knuckle. 79 Ford pitman arm reamed by the same shop One ton chevy and dodge TRE's. 2wd box from an 89 p/u. Going with 1.25 OD DOM with .250 wall, tapped for 7/8 18 thread LH and RH. The frame on the truck had been reinforced in the past, but the plate that was installed was not fully welded in, so finished that as well.

I have to get my ball joints pressed in to the knuckle, install the knuckle, and take measurememts for the draglink. Once that gets here it will just be a matter of changing out Powersteering lines, bleeding the system, than beating on it like a rented mule.

Just wanted to share the excitement with the brotherhood. Feels good to finally be upgrading instead of repairing.

:D

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Congrats Kid, good to see you making progress. :thumb:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Repairing, while necessary, is never much fun for me. Sounds like you have a well thought out plan for the crossover. :waytogo:

4. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Have everything back together, and now I have a question... I have never adjusted the factory locks for the steering... The box seems to turn fully before the knuckles hit the locks... Is this supposed to happen? I have purged the system of air, to no availl.. just wondering.