Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally Back on the Road!! Progress PICS!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by SAVAGE1, Dec 30, 2002.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Made some progress today. My truck has been disabled for about a month due to death wobble (scary stuff /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) after installing my D60 and Xover. Well after a whole day of wrenching I finally was able to drive it without sh!ttin my pants. The cure- West Texas Offroad Hydro Assist!! I also installed the weld on steering brace. It ain't pretty but here is a pic:

[​IMG]

Its still a mad rush to be ready for Frank Raines. The front already has 5.13's but I have the gears for the rear sitting here on my floor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif good place for them huh. They go in probably next week along with a detroit. I still need to slap in my F150 springs and shackle flip to ditch the rear blocks. I was hoping to fire up the bender for some sliders and other armor but my hydro ram hasn't arrived for that. Well, just wanted to share my joy, it was nice hearing the rumble of the 42's again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Woo Hoo Nice to see ya getting it done...Want to do mine...LOL J/K Hope to see it again at Raines .. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

(In my best drunken dunerunner at the carshow voice)
    "OHH OHHH EASY!"

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    :drool:
    Right on dude. That is sweeeet!
    See ya at frank raines! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Carry more than 2 fire extinguishers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

It's gettin there... Looks good.

David
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif OHH OHHHH EASY! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (ryan you crack me up)

ROD-Awesome!!!!

Looks good.

KEN

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I require MANY more details on the hydro assist, and it's effect on DW......

My D60 is COMPLETELY fresh with all new seals, bearings, etc. and had an enormous case of DW with the 29" "skinnies" on it. With the 38's it doesn't DW in the classic sense, but there is a HUGE vibration through the steering wheel that I can only attribute to a DW-like phenomenon.

I know WHAT hydro-assist is....what I want to know is:

1. What were the DW symtoms you had initially (what speeds, other irritating characteristics, etc)

2. What is the steering like now? Is it "Cadillac smooth" or simply tolerable on the street? In other words.....how GOOD is GOOD?

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

....my AGR box is already tapped for hydro assist, so I'm really trying to understand if it's going to be THE solution I'm looking for...!!!! I shouldn't be spending ANY money on my truck these days, but if it's really great...maybe I could find the cash to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys, It would've looked better if I spent more time on it, but I was in a rush to get back on the road.

Greg, my 60 was completely rebuilt but when I bolted it up along with the Xover I got Death Wobble. By DW I don't mean a vibration, its the side to side violent shake that would get worse the longer you let it happen. I'd have to come to a complete stop. It would happen at around 25mph and is triggered when I hit a small bump. I've read all the posts on this board and still there is no definite cause of it. All I know is that the Hydro Assist cured all the cases of DW, and it worked for me. When I hit a bump in the road, I feel a little shimmy like it wants to start DW but that only last about a half a second then goes away. I can't say my steering is Cadillac smooth but it does feel more solid. My steering wasn't bad before but its more consistent in different situations. Like trying to turn the 42's at a dead stop, I can feel the resistance as opposed to steering while rolling. With the ram working it feels the same turning at a stop and turing while rolling.

Since your box is already tapped I'd suggest adding the ram. You're half way there and for about 2 bills you can have the ultimate steering stabilizer. Plus it takes a load off your steering box and frame.

I'm just another satisfied customer of WTO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Greg72

Coolio!

That description of DW is exactly what I had with the skinnies on mine! I was driving down Hostetter Ave at about 30 mph, and hit a slight bump.....the front end starting shifting laterally, and it just got worse and worse! The whole front of the truck was violently shuddering and I had to slam on the brakes in the middle of traffic to keep the truck from either flipping over or jumping into another lane! SCARY!!!!

My 38's don't do that, but I think the harmonics for DW are still there.....just slightly "out-of-tune" so the suspension resonance can't actually get started. I have a single steering damper bolted in the stock position currently and it makes no apparent difference in what I feel.

I've driven Zakks truck on 42's and it feels way smoother on the highway than mine (my 38's are dynamically balanced by the way!)....so I know that something needs to be done to address this issue.

What size ram did you decide to go with? I think Matt at WTO offers a few different sizes and the larger pistons tend to be "offroad only" since they make the steering too sluggish on the street. I really don't need ram-assist to turn my tires, so I think the smallest piston that can cure the vibe is all I want....?? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I didn't really need the ram to turn the tires on the street but I needed to do something about the DW. That's odd that you got DW with smaller tires. I slapped on some 35's to see how it would affect the DW and it was still there but less often. Seems like the bigger tires and added weight multiplied the DW. Odd things like this make the whole DW phenom a mystery. There are too many variables and every truck is different. All I know is that the Hydro Assist worked on every truck that had DW. I'm done thinking about it, I'm just glad its gone.

As for the ram size, Matt offers 1.5 and 1.75. I chose the 1.75 but you should be fine with the 1.5, its supposed to be faster too.

When did Zakk get 42's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I wanna see pics. It sucks not having him around.

BTW, I still want the tubing if its available. I'm just short on cash due to these unexpected expenses. How much longer do I have before you pack the stuff up?

10. Greg72

Oooops my bad.....Zakk's still on 40's.

Come buy some tubing.....then I can afford a ram!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'll see what cash I can scrape together after I change the gears in the rear. Probably around the second week of Jan.

12. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

NICE!!

14. Greg72

That's cool....looks like I'm busy with a project for Zakk in the next week or so... a little here, a little there....it all helps!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I don't mean a vibration, its the side to side violent shake that would get worse the longer you let it happen. I'd have to come to a complete stop. It would happen at around 25mph and is triggered when I hit a small bump

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is excactly what I was/am trying to fix on mine and I dont have a d60...What's up with that...????
    I even made Arron sea sick just watching me going to hollister...LOL

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is 99% of the times from the caster.
    I had that when I did a spring over on my FSJeep and when I corrected the caster, it got back to normal.
    Sometimes it get affected by unevenly worn tires too. Before I fixed the caster, I put newer tires and it cured it 80%.

17. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

From what I read the D60 is more prone to DW because of its extra weight. Like imiceman said, wrong caster angles can cause this too. Also any loose or worn steering parts can cause play in the system which may result in DW. Check your balljoints too. Just get everything tight, if it still does it check your tires for balance.