Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finally bought a 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wnderbra, Mar 22, 2000.

1. wnderbra

wnderbra Registered Member

I found a 350ho crate motor with less than 5000 miles and bought it for a steal(I think).It has a lunati cam not sure of specs yet but the guy said he would find it for me(still stock converter so not to radical). This is goin in my 83 k5 what headers will fit best and best for money only need plain jane no show chrome.I want to cut them into the stock pipes for now and take to get straight duals run soon.Would a block hugger type work performace wise Will the regular long tube size have enough room to cut in before the y pipe.I have flowmaster with fake duals now(The shop wouldnt run duals without cats)So if anyone could steer me in the right direction to piece it together till I can find someone to do what I want This will also make the motor switch faster as it is my only driver and I want to spend most of my time this weekend on the engine bay. I have already read the flexable tube to make a jig and then get the pipes made up good idea and I might try it but I want to get it goin this weekend P.S. The motor was in a 87 monty carlo and I went for a ride in it on sunday and it was fast enough to scare and bone stock except for everything that could be plugged was and the cam) complete 675$ what do you think

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like you got a steal. You're one lucky dude. You probably still got warranty on that motor. Anyways, with that being the 350 HO, I think you have to get different headers for it. I know for sure that Headers that would fit on a crate 350 would not fit on an HO. Definately look into that. Best of luck
    Boss

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The exhaust ports and bolt pattern are the same on all small block Chevy heads. Headers are completely interchangeable engine to engine. Only the chassis gets in the way.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. wnderbra

Has anyone spliced headers into the stock single muffler before the y-pipe this is what i am worried about just want them to fit for now then replace the rest of the exhaust later.

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Blazer1970,

Alright dude, I know for sure that Headers are interchangible, but not for the 350HO. The HO uses Vortec Heads, meaning it uses the 4 bolt pattern. The regular crate 350's uses the 6 bolt pattern. I know this for sure b/c I just bought a crate 350 and I was debating on getting the 350HO b/c It was only $800 more, but I had to factor in new intake and new headers so I didn't want to do all that yet b/c of the money situation. Here is a quote I copied from paceparts where I bought my motor concerning headers/manifold for the 350HO:
    "this manifold has four bolts, not six, to attach it to the cylinder head. Older six-bolt manifolds will not fit the new Vortec heads."
    Didn't mean to sound rude if I did, but I just wanted to clear things up.
    Boss

6. wnderbra

Maybe i should have mentioned that it is not the new ho with the vortech heads I think that it is the old ho that was 300hp. The motor is bolted up completly stock in the car It is only run on weekends and is not a daily driver but the guy likes to smoke fords and wants a 400 I have'nt been able to find the specs on the 300hp350 since they now have the vortec heads If you've seen them point me to the site.I was told that it is the HO it may not be but for the money and the way it runs it doesnt matter. I think there is also a crate350 that is called a HO for truck use but is different than the 330hp crate I'm not sure but I'm exited about yanking my 305 Thanks for the help

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Boss, that's the intake manifold, not the exhaust manifolds. I have Vortec heads on my Blazer motor. You need a special intake manifold, but the exhaust manifolds are the same. The ones that I used are the ram's horns that GM performance sells that were from early 60s Corvettes. That would have been a 327.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350