Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finally came to a conclusion

Discussion in 'Audio' started by TheBlazerKid, Oct 23, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Ok I have changed my mind a million times but have decided to go with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2 amp and two JL Audio 12W3's in a bandpass.....I MIGHT go with 12W6's if i have the green, but am for sure going with that amp, sound good to you guys?

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

2. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

In a bandpass??? What kind of music do you listen to. If its anything but cRAP I suggest you use an open face box. it sounds much cleaner.

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

3. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Thoes subs with that amp...sh@# that will sound real good...thoes JLs are good subs and that amp is good.

4. krisw

krisw Registered Member

whats with people getting bandpass these days. Bandpass boxes are not good for anything really, you only hit a select frequency range, they dont hit as hard as a ported or sealed box (usually) and they dont sound as clear.

All your base are belong to us

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Save your money and go with the W3's. The reason people were spending big money for the W6's was because it was the only way to get dual 6 ohm JL subs...so you could easily wire/run 3 of them.
    The W3's come in dual 2, 4, or 6 ohm versions. The last time I spoke with a JL dealer, he said the W3's would eventually just replace the W6 line. I suggest getting the 4 ohm ones if you're going to run 2 of them. Wire it series/parallel and your amp will have a 4 ohm mono load.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Bandpass boxes can do wonderful things if they're set up right. Its just difficult to get every aspect of the box perfect so it sounds good. What I'm saying is that you can guess with sealed boxes and have it sound good sometimes, but it just doesn't work that way with bandpass. The best ones I've heard were the prefab ones that the company included the box, wire and subs already assembled.
    For example: If you listen to a ton of hard rock music with most of the bass around 50 Hz and you get a box with the passband right around 50 Hz, its going to rock.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

I have 2 w6 10"s in a dual band pass box with a whimpy 300 whatt amp and the hit hard as hell....band pass is a good box to go with mines a single reflex and I love it...i even put neon in side so it glows. only pait 300 for them lol I DONT want to know where they came from tho lol.

8. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

i have a rockford fosgate 400a4 and i love it. when i installed it i have lot of engine noise though. i had to use monster cable and a noise filter to get rid of it. tell me how it goes. where did you mount your amp. i had a hard time deciding where to put it out of the way. i put it behind my right rear panel.

9. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

UPDATE....i bought all my stereo stuff awhiel back but havent been to teh forums for awhile, i ended up getting two JL 12W6's and put them in a dual bandpass box, am pushing them with a rockfor 500a2 amp.......it hits real hard, but not much in teh SQ department, i am thinkign about building a seald to jl's specs and seeing how it sounds! jsut wanted to fill everyone in

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

10. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

If you want a bit of a boost, but you don't wanted the "One Note Wonder" sound of a bandpass, try ported. I think JL has specs for a ported box for the W6's. Just tune the box fairly low, you'll get good SQ and a nice 2-3db boost over what you'd get out of sealed.

Nice choice in product. I've got a couple Rockford amps myself and they've worked great. Just wish I'd found ESX or Lunar before spending so much on my RF's.....

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

11. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

Here's the info I got out of the local dealer when I asked why they quit carrying Fosgate. The guy told me that RF has sold out to some other company(probably the japanese). I honestly don't know if it's true or not but if I find out that it is I think I'll have to either find a pair of 2000 model BD1000's or start using something other than Fosgate myself. I hope it's not true, but before I buy any more RF gear I'll be doing a little research to find out(I wouldn't trust the guy that told me any farther than I can throw him, and that ain't very far). Anyway, that combo will sound good together, do some looking around on the net to find the best prices.

12. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Rockford stuff has been made over seas for a while now if I'm not mistaken. But the home office is in the good ole us of a. Down in Az I think. The same people make lightning audio and a brand that makes speakers and stuff for the big Multiplex Theaters. Don't think they've sold out to anybody (except the mass market and they did that a few years back [​IMG])

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers