Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally did something today...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. 84gmcjimmy

    84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    Posts:
    12,838
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    B.C. CANADA
    I rebuilt my engine "stand" so I could move it into a permanant spot until I can lay the blazer down on the floor. I just have to wait for a mechanic to come over and fix my ride on lawn mower. :confused:Then I can lay the frame down and start cleaning it up. My mom says she wants me to pack and get ready for when we move in a few months, otherwise I would fix the lawn tractor (it has a plow for snow, thats why it needs to be fixed) and im stumped on the snowblower. Anyways...
    Does anyone know if it's okay to have my shop heated with the woodstove, and use oven cleaner, and laquer thinner to clean my frame, without the worry of the shop burning down? Also I have the blazer engine, the snow blower, and the lawn tractor in the shop... could that be the reason why I smell gas SOMETIMES when I go in there? I had the door open all day when I was in there fixing the engine 'stand" so I coulldn't smell it. BUT if the door is closed all the time, then I go in there I can smell it. I just hope it is okay, and its just from one of the gas engines that are in the shop.
    Would I be able to light the woodstove? Or should I let the shop air out (with the door open) for a while before I start it?
    OKay, thanks
     
  2. mxfireman

    mxfireman 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Posts:
    2,480
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    LHC, AZ
    on to more important things where is our BOTD :deal:
     
  3. mxfireman

    mxfireman 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Posts:
    2,480
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    LHC, AZ
    lol j/k. I wouldn't recommend using flammable items such as laquer thinner or other flammable liquids in a confined space wih an open flame. I think the oven should be ok but I would deffinately set up some ventillation so you are not breathing that cr@p!!!
     
  4. diesel4me

    diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Posts:
    17,540
    Likes Received:
    931
    Location:
    Massachussetts
    Nooooo!!!!

    I would strongly suggest that you dont use ANY kind of flammable solvents like gas,thinner,or paint reducer near a wood stove,unless its been out for a day or two and unlit--the stove will suck the fumes in due to the draft it creates,if you have enough fumes it will ignite with a big WHOOF and could blow the doors right off,and burn the place down!..
    .I've had my share of gas spills in the shop while pulling an engine or rebulding a carb or something,and have been lucky that the stove didnt ignite the fumes!--leave a door open so the fumes cant accumulate and get to a danger point...I realize its very cold,but dont use the stove if you want to use that stuff to clean your frame..
    ..I'd use easy off oven cleaner,or castrol super clean instead--it works about as good as gas or thinner,and wont explode(non-flammable) but they will eat your skin if you get some on you after awhile...but MUCH safer than solvents...I have been pretty lucky to not have had any trouble with the stoves in my shop--sometimes I get careless and spill a can of gas or laquer thinner and nothing happenned--the cold temparatures makes it more unlikely,but not impossible for the fumes to ignite-if where you are working is attached to your house,this is VERY important,as fumes can seep into the basement and get ignited by a furnace or pilot light or even a spark from a light switch--and your house insurance wont pay a dime if they blame it on a woodstove installed without a permit,or using flammable solvents in an unventilated area..--The heat from the stove is nice,but it can be deadly too,please be careful!!!..:crazy:
     
  5. 84gmcjimmy

    84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    Posts:
    12,838
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    B.C. CANADA
    So if oven cleaner isn't flammable like you said, can I use it when the stove is running?
    okay, I wont use the laquer thinner while the woodstove is running. Will that effect the cleaning the frame part (cold metal/cold thinner)?
    Would it be good if I had a fan beside the stove (on a bench) blowing the heat and anything away from the stove? The frame will be about 10 feet away from the closest spot, I think.
    Thanks !
     
  6. kennyw

    kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2002
    Posts:
    13,223
    Likes Received:
    94
    Location:
    Stevens Pass Highway, WA
    As long as the oven cleaner is non-flammable, I'd go that route with the wood stove going over using the thinner with no heat!
     
  7. 84gmcjimmy

    84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    Posts:
    12,838
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    B.C. CANADA
    okay thanks. I will use oven cleaner then!
     

Share This Page