Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally doing something with K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brocky, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Finally got started tonite. Had to light a fire under the guy who has been storing his Rustang in my fathers garage. will be replacing floors, rockers, doors, installing 465/205 combo and perhaps dana 60/14bff and lift. Now we have bad rust so brace yourself, and I am not gonna be doing a perfect spotless clean job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I wonder how those seats stayed on without falling through.

Looks like a good project though.

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

My woman is skinny. hehe. Otherwise she would be on the ground. I'd say it is a good thing my father is a welder.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Feels good to get started doesn't it? Fair bit of work there from the pic's...mine was almost that bad at one time too. It's no fun.

Is this going to be a trail rig or driver or??

If you're going to wheel it at all I'd probably weld in some box tube instead of those replacement rockers. I put new rockers in mine, then hacked them out less than a year later in favor of some 3x3 box tube. Could have saved some time and money if I'd just gone with the tube in the first place.

Rene

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I want to go 3x3 tube but I am concerned about the wave of rust down the road. I figured the body would rot away from the box tube. Dam Newfoundland. Everything rusts out here so quickly. 6 years ago, if you could find a hole in my Blazer I would give it too ya.

6. tRustyK5

I could have found rust on that truck 6 years ago. I have seen tons advertised as rust free, looking all shiny, new and perfect...right up until you lift the carpet in a few strategic areas. K5's seem to rot from the inside out, and the carpet hides it all until it becomes a massive project to get rid of it. Usually by the time you see the first rust blister on the exteriro of the truck it's almost as bad as yours is now.

The box tube won't promote the rust any more than a rocker replacement will...you just need to prime and paint it really good on the underside and make sure you rinse the crud off underneath now and then. Half the battle is not leaving areas that cannot drain or dry. Like when GM boxed in the backside of the rockers...if they would have left them open, or had really big drain holes they wouldn't have rotted as quickly.

Rene

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I'd say you could of, but the average Joe wouldnt of. . It looked good then... I am seriously thinking about doing the sliders. It just so happens that one of my buddies came by the garage and needs the rockers done on his 87 Chevy pickup. Might be able to sell mine to him. I hate making decisions, lol. I keep ya posted on what way I decide to go.

8. tRustyK5

Keep us posted whatever you decide. God knows we all love works in progress pic's...:deal:

Rene

9. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I skipped the rockers tonite so I can think about it some more. My father wants me to put the replacements on and I am not sure myself. He owned the truck years ago and gave it to me back in 1998 so I might let him have it his way a little. It was only me in the garage all nite so I just picked around and got the 350/203 combo all ready to come out. I was gonna drop it myself but I had a slight accident and got pissed off. I had a piece of sheet metal cut and threw on floor. Crawled under truck and it stuck into my back going thru the coveralls and a sweater. And last but not least stuck into my shoulder blade. Two nights in garage and bleeding both nights, I gotta be doing something right.
    If

10. tRustyK5

You'll be a walking blob of scar tissue by the time yer done...

Re the rockers...it is your truck, don't feel that anyone here is going to think less of you if you choose to install the replacement rockers. If you do I'd personally leave the backside of those rockers open rather than adding the part that boxes them in. That way no crud can get trapped inside them...

Rene

11. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Well tonite I got the tranny/transfer case out and bolted on my flywheel. Did some cutting on the floors. Battery went dead in camera so only one pic. The goofy guy in the pic is my brother in law. I had to get someone to give me a hand getting the combo out.
    [​IMG]

12. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Need some advice.

No progress the weekend so far. Just drinking and junk yard browsing. Had to go get a shifter. Tried the Dodge 4 speed shifter and it was no good. So went to scrap yard and got the chev one for $10. Also the owner told me for $50, I can have full top, windshield frame, and factory roll bar. Sounds like a deal to me. Just would have to cut my doors, and get the hardware for the windows in the doors. Only thing is, I have no roll cage. I know I need one, but money isnt there for it yet. I want opions. Should I buy it and wait for the cage to do it? While I am at the floors can I reinforce them enough for on road no roof? I do have rolled pipe, 2 inch inside diameter. I know this is not good for roll overs but will it be strong enough for the full top removal? Also would this pipe size look decent as tube doors? Lotsa questions, the snow ball affect of building is only starting I think. Give me your opions.

13. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Oh the pipe is 2 inch inside diameter, it has the seam so it is not the best but will it do for strengthening up the body with the cap off.

14. tRustyK5

Most seamed pipe is similar to seamed tube (AKA HREW) except that it is dimensioned by it's I.D. rather than by it's O.D. and almost always has a much thicker wall thickness. As long as it's not that black pipe you could use it, at least for the short term to stiffen things up.

Rene

15. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Finally went back at it last night, after I replaced fuel pump in my car. Bolted on clutch,pressure plate, bellhousing and hooked up the padel assembly. Then I tore out the slush box remains. Lines,cooler,linkage. Back to work so finding it hard to get time. MY only issue to date is the pickle fork doesnt line up very well with the manual linkage on the frame. Any ideas?

16. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

come on u know u want to use that tubing for ur rockers
    yes u should buy that top before somone else gets it for that green one at cona. buy it and put it on later wen u gets the cash

17. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

On the manaul linkage setup, which way does the threaded rod attach to the clutch fork. I ask because I have two clutch forks. One with a hole in the end and the other with a indent. The one with the hole in the end is too long. But does the threaded rod just butt up against the clutch fork? Wouldnt it fall off there or will the tension keep it there?

18. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Well I forgot what the old rig was looking like so the last two nights I wrestled with the 465/205 combo. After a few hours between the two nights it slide in with the engine jacked on the front and the transfer case blocked and the front of the tranny jacked. What a heavy combo. Last thing I done last night was install the shifter and sit in the seat and shift gears. NOW I HAVE THE ITCH TOO DRIVE IT. I wanna try out the tranny. Oh well maybe tomarrow I'll try my driveshafts and start on the floors. Just wanted to give a little update.

19. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Passenger side floor is almost pieced back together. Driveshafts are a no go. Front one is about 5 inches too long and rear one is about 8 inches to short. Dam rust, everytime I cut out something and find more. Had a rear body mount gone aswell.

20. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status