Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally done - but now I need gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Dec 19, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I just had a mild cam, performer intake and true dual exhaust installed and the truck runs great but I didn't get as much off the line power as I expected. In second gear it pulls nice and strong up to 75 miles and then it shifts into third so I guess now it's time to change the 3.08 gears for some 4.11s. I guess after I change the gears I will find that I have enough power to turn some bigger tires, then I will need some stronger differentials ARGHHHHHHHHHHH...... does it ever end?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHH...... does it ever end?

[/ QUOTE ] Nope. But would you really want it too ???????????

3. bajaviking

I hope my wife doesn't read this but no, I don't want it to end, in fact I am hoping my 10 bolt will break soon so I have an excuse to get that 14 bolt that is waiting for me down at the junk yard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

By checking out your profile....I see that you are running 700r4 with 33's. I went to 3.73's and it's perfect for what I do daily. Off the line is good,and freeway is nice also. I am gonna go to ether 35's or 36's,so I am shootin for 4.56 gears.

BTW- it never ends /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. bajaviking

Are the gears still in good shape, if they are I might want to buy them, I am here in San Diego so shipping should not be too much. Let me know when you going to change. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

I run 4.56's w/33's. 700R4. I love it! And if you don't plan on screaming down the highway at 100mph they are great for daily driving. Plus you won't have to upgrade again when you get bigger meats!!!

7. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What if you want to do 85MPH? Seriously. How are the 4:56's? I've got a 1990 with 3:73's and 33's and I'm looking to move to the next ratio.

8. methcat

methcat Registered Member

you can figure out pretty easy what gearset will get you the same rpm as factory in drive(or any gear for that matter) by multiplying the stock ratio by the new tire size, then dividing by the factory tire size. like, if you had 28" and 373 from the factory, and went to 33" tires, a theoretical 439 ratio would keep you at the same rpm... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. methcat

methcat Registered Member

http://www.maltliquor.20m.com/spreadsheets.htm

i posted a little excel sheet you can download that'll tell you your appx rpm at any speed with different trannies with different gears and tires... remember, your tire size actually changes when you drive faster, but it'll be close /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif