Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally done...frame wrap shackle flip

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by shane74, Aug 10, 2006.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It took us long enough, but we finally came up with a shackle flip design that we know will stand up to our "You break it, we replace it" warranty. This is the 6th generation of design that we feel is ready for the market. Here are a few pics of the kit and of it installed.

It uses a backing plate with grade 8 bolts welded into it that fits through the holes in the frame. It also uses a top plate so you can hang the flip on the frame and have your hands free to bolt it all up.

The kit runs $195 + shipping and comes complete with all hardware, bushings, and your choice of any of our standard shackle lengths. Order through a PM here and get a 10% discount ($175 + shipping)

GM Shackle Flip1.jpg

Installed Flip 1.jpg

Installed Flip 2.jpg

Installed Flip 3.jpg

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Hmm way to go copying DIY4X

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree, you cant take credit for this design. Diy was way different from ORD's but this, this is just a copy of Diy's. sorry, I call it like I see it.

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Tough crowd...

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

To each their own. We have several versions of these on different rigs and made some custom ones for others that are similar, but we have always used the frame wrap idea. If folks do a search, there have been several threads asking us about them and our frame wrap idea, using a full backing plate, and simple shackles long before DIY was ever around, but we have never brought them to market because the designs were not install freindly and frankly, they were ugly. The pic at the bottom is a different version that we put on a guys rig almost 2 years ago. It has held up wonderfully, and is designed so that you can run up to a 63" rear spring and all you have to do is move your rear bolt/bushings. But it is uglier than h*ll to me. So, we didn't offer it.

Regardless, yes ours looks similar to DIY, and he makes a great product. But, there are only so many ways to do a shackle flip that allow you to use all the attributes that make it install/user friendly. Similarly, there are only so many ways to make a disc brake bracket. They all have to have the same basic critical dimensions. Does that mean that everyone who makes a disc brake bracket is a copy cat?

Is still stand by my statements that we have never, and will never blatantly copy another manufacturers designs. All our designs come from our own R&D and ideas. Usually, it comes from a "there has to be a better way to do this" statement. We are slower to the market than others at times because of the thought and testing that goes into what we make. The liability for the types of products we make is HUGE. We cannot afford to take any chances. The absolutely have to be SAFE first and foremost, and second, they absolutely HAVE to hold up to the abuse that is thrown at them. Sometimes they look similar to other products on the market. Most times they don't.

The good news is, that nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything from us. Our products and warranty speak for themselves.

100_0133.jpg

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

another great product from BWP. Hey Shane don't let these others get to you. They're probably the same ones who will only buy an ORD steering brace ( hint.... it's not thiers)

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

If BWP came out with it first then thats a different story. Its just simple knowledge that if you release a product that looks alot like another manufactures its going to get called a copy.

As for the ORD brace comment. I sure as hell didnt buy one, I made my own for about $10:D

As for others who dont have the access/skills to make there own stuff, sure ORD has made a name for themselves especially in the GM category so its not suprising that they will buy from them rather then the original creator.

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Why in the first pic is the shackle angle straight up and down?!?

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Looks like lift springs, they would be shorter than stock type so the shackle angle wouldn't be as good.

Does the flip bracket bolt to the top or bottom lip of the frame or just the side?

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks for marketing your products here on CK5, I appreciate it greatly. It's a good thing to have different vendor products to choose from in the same category. Hope you'll stick around and offer more, even with the criticism that sometimes goes hand in hand with product development. As far as I'm concerned every Vendor is an asset to the board. We all can't fab our own parts and having an assortment to choose from is a real blessing.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

looks good shane. I kinda like the two-hole one... I think both the DIY and the BWP flip brackets are in dire need of "speed holes". The material is plenty thick and large enough for the application... speed holes would knock the weight down a little bit and make them look lots better. Just my opinion...

anyway, good job.

j

12. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anything for a 1st gen? Flips look great otherwise.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I can definitely see where you are coming from and why you would say that. But, ours does a few things that no other flips allows for (that I know of);
    1. They hang from the frame by themselves due to using a top plate. You now have both hands available to hang it.
    2. There is enough room to get a torque wrench on the top bolts.
    3. All the mounting hardware inside the frame stays in place if you ever want to switch them to run long springs. You'll never have to mess with dropping your tank (on K5's or subs) again after the first time. If you decide you want to run longer springs and flip sides, it's a matter of a few bolts. All the support hardware stays in place inside the frame rails.
    4. You only have to drop the tank a couple inches to slide the whole backing plate in. Some kits, it's much easier to drop the whole tank.
    5. Ours completely wraps the outside of the frame, which makes it stronger.
    6. Our solid backing plate sandwiches the frame and spreads the load across the entire surface mounting surface area of the frame. This also makes it stronger
    We always take a look at the shortcomings of a product and see what we can do to make it easier/better. Several of the earlier designs were formed from 1/4" plate and used a section of rectangle tube with nuts welded into it to "box" that section of the frame. That was WAY overkill, put the pricing out of range for the average market (let's face it, we're in an expensive sport and we'll all save a buck where we can right?) and the weight was just too much. The first 3 or 4 designs weighed in at almost 45 #'s per side :eek1: Way too much for what it does.

After reading jeks comments, it looks like we may be revising the design some again to allow for "speed holes". We installed this style using a swivel and socket before final torque, but yep, speed holes is a great idea and we'll look at it. Isn't that all part of it too? Listening to your customers and design something that works the way they want it to?

About the only thing on our kits that could be viewed by some here as a "copy" is the idea of using flat shackles instead of the factory ones. Where we the first to come out with it here on CK5? Nope. Were we making them long before we finalized the design and brought them to the folks here? Yep. Do I have prior art to prove it? Absolutely. We have been working on these things for years. Why is/was there nothing on our website about previous versions? Because they weren't done yet and they were not ready for the market. We put a lot of time and effort into our R&D so at times it takes us longer to get to market. If someone wants to call us copy cats because of that, fine. They are not the ones responsible for the liability should a design fail. We are. We'll do what it takes to make sure it is safe for our customers to haul their families down the road on regardless of how long it takes.

Anywhoo, I am done justifying this. It's a good product that we feel offers some advantages over others out there, and that we know we can stand behind.

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Now that we have finalized they way we are going to make them, we will be offering them for many makes and models of rigs. This layout should work well for most other fullsize rigs. Some critical dimensions will be different of course, but the concept is the same.

Yes, we will be making them for a 1st gen. We hope to have them ready for market in the next few weeks.

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

quick note shane if you can make a front hanger you can offer these to 1st gens who wish to swap in a later model 3/4 ton axel instead of them hunting for a true 1ton 14bff to bolt in.

16. jimmypop

jimmypop Registered Member

Rock on!!! Shane. God Bless America, Land of the Free and home of capitalism. How many ways can you skin a cat? I wish Gen1 had a frame
    wrap support. Keep up the good work.

17. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Shane, you dont have to justify this to anyone, and I was not trying to make comments attacking in any way. I just had issue with the statement, "we finally came up with a shackle flip design", and "6th generation". so what your saying is that it took 6 tries to come to the conclusion that Diy's shackle flip design is a damn good design and that the next best thing was to improove it a bit, and call it YOUR design.

thats the american way and you have the right to do just that. I just would have rather you said " we borrowed the great design of the Diy shackle flip but we feel we improoved it a bit. that sounds alot more....well, honest and credable then taking credit for the "design". I would not have given it a second thought had I read something like that. thats just rightfully giving credit where credit is due.

no harm ment really, no big deal. if I were to win a set in one of your free giveaway's you bet your sweet arse I would take a set in a red hot minite. you have inspired me to build a shackle flip myself now, just to see what I can come up with, so thanks for the inspiration.