Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally, dual exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 7, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Finally took off the two catalytic convertors and stock muffler from the old single exhaust system under my '87 Utility bed truck. Put dual 2 1/2" pipes under it with cheap Thrush turbo mufflers.

Now, I can actually hear the exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, and it sounds more like a V8 instead of a 6 cylinder from the tailpipes.

Feels like it has a bit more power now, too. The 454 needed a bit more breathing room.

Like an idiot, I drove around today in the cold weather with my window down just so I could listen to the new sound.

Why would they ever put two convertors on a truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

got to take all the packaging off to make it work right i guess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

The two converter thing sound too much like a Ford idea. A friend of mine has a 1990 F-150 that recently sh*t the bed. Come to find out, the cats were plugged and the only way they would fix it is to replace them both at $300 a piece!