Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally figured it out!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 68MUDSTUD, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok guys, my 71 K-5 isnt runnin very good... 350/th350/205

It runs greaT when its cold

it doesnt run worth a crap when it has been run on the highway for about 5 miles.

New:
    distributor
    alternator
    battery
    carb
    intake

its got a rebuilt HEI in it, and it works. no doubt about the distributor. the funny thing is though, ill set it on about 4-6 deg advanced, and it just runs crappy, so i end up advancing it so far, it doesnt register on my timing tab on the timing cover.

THEN, when i finally get into town, after cruizing 5 miles on gravel, and 10 miles on highway, cruise about 60-65, ill pull into town, and as soon as i get slowed down enough to pull into town pump, itll die on me. it doesnt do this when its cold.

anyone got any ideas??
    thanks in advance.

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Did you just upgrade to HEI???
    If so you need to run a full 12 volts to distributor. Get rid of the ceramic block on the firewall.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Vacume leak maybe?
    Spray carb cleaner around your intake with it running and if your RPM rises then you have a vac leak.
    Fuel filter? Sometimes after sitting, cooling down time, the crap in a fuel filter will 'fall' then when you run the engine the crap sucks back up and blocks the fuel..
    hmmm spark is next...maybe make sure your dist isn't installed 180deg out? well it should run like crap al the time so...??
    just my .01.5c hehhehee

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Choke staying on/closed?

5. 68MUDSTUD

ok, first of all, this HEI was on it when i bought it, and was on it before that guy bought it, second, there is no ceramic block on firewall, so i am good there, third, i replaced all fuel lines, and douched tank thoroughly, uhhh did i miss anything?

i got to thinking about it, and do you guys think my coil in the top of my cap could be bad? thats the next thing im gonna try, ill rob the one my 68 had in it since its pretty much brand new.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Never owned HEI so dunno crap about it...
    Fuel
    Air
    Spark
    Check all 3...
    Good Luck

7. 68MUDSTUD

haha thanks burt

8. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

Sounds like vapor lock?
    Does your new fuel line run by your exhaust? I suffered from this last year after I installed a new exhaust . I had to reroute the fuel line to the outside of the frame rail to keep the fuel from vaporizing before it even entered the engine compartment. It helped to have a see through filter close to the carburetor so I could see if it was getting fuel.

9. 68MUDSTUD

that MIGHT be part of the problem, but im not sure, i do have a filter right by the carb, ill see if i got any next time i run into town. im kinda thinkin about getting rid of these headers, just for heat problems. what do you guys think?

10. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

If I were to do it again I would do away with the headers. They leak, they kill starters, and for me they were part of my vapor lock problem.

Yeah, next time this happens, look at your filter (if it is a clear one) to see if there is gas in it.

11. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

Dibs on the headers if you decide to lose them. I'm living life without headers and it is gutless.

12. 68MUDSTUD

alright gas, if i have to take em off, ill ship em to you for uhhhhhhhh 50 bux.:D

13. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

Some vehicles came with a resistor wire instead of the ceramic resistor for the coil. I would make sure you are not using that wire for the HEI or the choke or they won't work properly. If the resistor wire was used on the electric choke it won't fully open which could cause your problem. I removed that wire from my fuse block and replaced it with a good grade copper wire when I converted to HEI.

Brent

14. 68MUDSTUD

where does the electric choke wire connect to? how bout that hot wire to the HEI?

15. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

The choke can connect to the hot wire to the HEI if it is not a resistor wire. If you have a multi-meter check that wire and make sure you are getting a full 12 volts.

16. 68MUDSTUD

Well guys, i figured out what my problem was FINALLY... you know the ignition control module, in the distributor, well, that was taking a BIG Sh**... runs great now though!!! I am finally once again complete!

17. primergray4x4

primergray4x4 Registered Member

starter saver for headers

I cut a mech heat sleave aprt to put over the starter.Use the thumb part over the sol, an the rest over the motor body. It has worked on the same started for years.;)