Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINALLY FINISHED....WELL ALMOST!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Oct 21, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I finally got time to put my lift on my truck this weekend! I just couldnt stand the stock look, so it had to go. For those of you who want to know what I did to it, here goes: I put in 4" front BDS springs, and an ord zero rate. For the rear, I used the echobit shackle flip. I also installed Doetsch prerunner 8000 shocks all the way around, a swaybar quick disconnection kit, extended stainless brake lines, an extended driveshaft in the rear, a 14ff rear with 4.56 gears and a detroit. To go with the lift, I chose 15x10 steel monster wheels and 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's. Even with the 4" front springs and a zero rate, the rear with the echobit flip still sits higher than the front. All that is left to do now is to install the 4.56 ring and pinion in the front that I have in my garage from Randy's. I also have to get my 14ff fixed, since the company that sold it to me wont honor their word, and its broken. I think it is the pinion bearings, but im not sure yet. I should have that fixed by the end of this month though. I will be taking some pictures of it in the next few days and will post them up on here. I can include a before the lift pic, as well as an after. And for all of those tire fitament quesitons that have been asked on here in the past few days, I will post a pic of an 87 Blazer with about 5.5" of susp. lift on 37's with no fender trimming (yet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I didnt think the 37's would fit from full turn to full turn, but they did. Oh, and all of this took me less than 2 days to install. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Keep looking, as I should have those pictures up by the weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sweet, really really like to see those pics. Got 4" BDS springs and going with 37 MT/Rs. No Zero Rates yet but who knows it may happen.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yep, we need pics! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I dont you are ever done..... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Are you using 4" bds springs all the way around? I know with my front 4" bds springs and a zero rate, I wont have to cut the top of the fenders. I dont think you should either.
    -Harrison

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I didn't touch the top of my fenders and don't expect to have to. I have 4" front BDS springs only, but I'm seriouslly considering getting 4" rear springs. Any opinion about them?

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont know aobut bds rear springs. I only have the front. My rear are stock springs with the shackle flip. I would immagine they are just as good as their front springs though. I havent really driven mine since my rearend isnt working properly. I took the pinion gear out of it today, and am buying new bearings for it tomorrow (because I think this is the cause of my grinding sound.) I just hope I can ge it back in there right. All of this stuff about setting the preload kind of scares me. Does anyone know the correct way to set the preload? From what I have gathered, I think I should put the new crush sleeve in, and put some red locktight on the pinion nut, and torque to about 150ft/lbs. Would this be correct?
    -Anyways, if I get that pinion gear back in correctly tomorrow, I will drive it and tell you how those fron bds springs do.
    -Harrison

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's certainly NOT correct. It's going to take a lot more than 150 ft lbs to crush the new sleeve, but once it starts crushing, it will crush a lot very quickly. When it's over, I believe that it'll take approx. 15 inch pounds of torque to turn the pinion.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Your right. I have learned that it takes more like 300-400 ftl/lbs to crush a new crush sleeve. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I re-used my old one, and torqued to about 150lb/ft and that set the preload right. Anyways, pics will come as soon as I get the film developed. Dont have a digi, just an old fashioned camera and a scanner. Thanks.
    -Harrison