Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally found a Dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ive finally found somebody who has a few Dana 60's and I went and looked at them yesturday. Im probably going to get one of them but I have a few questions I need to ask first. First of all, the one I want is under a duallie wrecker which brings up a few questions. Will I have to find a single wheel adapter for it to run it under my truck since mine isnt a dualie? Would my wheels even fit on it if I tried to?, and if they would, wouldnt they just stick out real far? And if I changed it to single wheel, do I have to change the rotors or axles or anything else? Also I noticed it doesnt have lockout hubs on it. Does that mean its a full time four wheel drive? If it is, do I have to get some hubs to convert it to part time? How much does a decent set of D60 hubs cost? And will everything just bolt right up to my truck? Is the swaybar and brake hoses and calipers and rotors the same as my D44's? And is the driveshaft any different? And finally, he wants $800 for it, it looks like its in pretty good shape, the truck still drives and everything, is that a good price?

2. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

ive run into the same questions and i found that it was not possible to move the perches wide enough to fit spring width if it is a dually axle.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

A dana 60 front you do not need to move the spring perches. If it is from a chevy it is a direct bolt in. If it is ford or dodge then it will still bolt in just the perches are a 1/4 inch off on each side. You can run DRW hubs or SRW hubs. If you want to run a normal backspace wheel 2.5"-4.25" then you need to have SRW hubs. If you are gonna run Hummer rims that are 7" backspacing the DRW hubs are perfect. $800 out of a running vehicle is pretty good I say get it. You can find hubs on E-bay and the axles are the same for DRW and SRW only difference is hub and the lug holes in the rotor are different but I am not sure if they can be interchanged.

Ira

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

If you are gonna run regular wheels, just get new hub/rotor assemblies. I just got new rotors from GMPartsDirect.com. I forget the actual price, but it was around $330 for everything. Shipping and handling are a bit excessive though. Comes with the wheel studs too. So, if you need rotors (probably), you might just want to purchase it for a SRW application, and save yourself some $$ in the long run.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If you do end up getting the dually D60, I may be interested in buying the dually hubs from you. If you are interested in selling them to me, buy a membership so we can work out the details via PM. Thanks.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

7. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Not meaning to hi jack, but do you have the part number for the srw hubs, and rotors? Thanks.
    Cory

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Gm part # is 15635530
    From my reciept, I paid $114.72 each.

9. k5 krawler 50

awesome.. sounds like i will have to check it out, thanks for posting the part number.

10. k5 krawler 50

one more hi jack.. sorry bout that..
    was that number for the hubs? Thanks.

11. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

The hubs, rotors, and lug nuts all come as one unit. I can take a pic of em if you want and post it, but it will have to wait till thursday night or friday morning.

12. k5 krawler 50

If you dont mind that would be awesome, but can you pm the pic to me please. I dont wanna hi jack this thread any more, unless you think it belongs here. Thanks.
    Cory

13. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

If you can, find out what year the wrecker is, (decode the Vin) because, if it is a 77-78.5 you may be able to use your stock D44 brake lines. D60 calipers used 7/16 banjo bolts for 77-78.5 just like the D44 after 78.5 they used 10mm banjo bolts just like the 10bolt. Sooo depending on the year of the truck you may or may not have to swap a) calpers or b) Brake lines.

14. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I dont think you should get it. You should hold off until you find a low mile, non neckdown, SRW dana 60. To get the axle where you want it, you're looking at spending about 1200-1400 on everything to convert it and rebuild it. Try to find some good military axles with low miles. My dana 60 had 20K on it with everything in near perfect shape. I put it in and my blazer now steers at tight as my maxima. My point is, I waited for a couple of years to find my 60/14, but it paid off. Keep looking!

15. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Jimbo here has a nice set of 60/14 SRW 456 from a military truck he might sell you. I bought a 4.10 60 from him also.

16. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I need a 4.11 D60. He said the wrecker was a 78 or 79 and I assume its a 78 because it doesnt have the 79 grille but thats not necessarilly a sure thing. Does anyone know about the driveshaft? Is it different from a 44 besides the u-joints? If I buy it I guess ill need those single wheel hubs and rotors, some Warn lockout hubs, tie rods/ends, brake pads, and maybe calipers if mine wont fit on it, and maybe u-joints. It looks like im gonna be spendin around $500 after I buy it to get it the way I want it. I had planned on maybe getting a locker too but I dont know now.

17. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

the driveshaft joints are the same d44 and d60.

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The pinion on a D60 is ~ 1.5" longer than a 10 bolt, this might be true for a 44 also since they're both pretty similar. I do not know for sure, just something to think about.

19. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Pics of SRW and DRW hubs. SRW hub/rotors are brand new from GMPartsDirect.com, parts and prices listed above.

IMG_0610 (800 x 600).jpg

IMG_0611 (800 x 600).jpg

20. k5 krawler 50

awesome, thanks for posting the pics. Thats a way better buy the some other deals i have come across. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005