Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally getting my ORD stuff installed!!!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Sub_Versive, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Sub_Versive

Sub_Versive Registered Member

Here's a funny one.

I finally got started on the suspension lift on the Suburban. Had the parts laying around for a couple of years now, until I could afford / needed new tires. A buddy of mine has a set of 36" tires off his F-350 that he can't use on his new dually, so I'm getting a sweet deal on them. Problem was, they wouldn't fit until I did the lift. I've been working on it for the last couple of days and have the rear almost done. This is a 4" shackle flip from Off-Road Design in Colorado and a set of Rough Country 4" lift springs on the rear. 8" on a Sub is a crapload of lift, in case you're wondering. :-D Going to finalize the rear suspension tonight and get the gas tank back in so I can start on the front - it'll have Rough Country 6" springs and Off-Road Design's 1/2" lift heavy duty shackles, so there will be a difference of ~1 1/2 inches, which should even out as the rear springs sag under the tonnage eventually.

Tips for anyone wanting to do this:

1. No matter how tempting it seems after your long impact socket won't reach the forward bolts on the rear springs, DO NOT torch the head that you can see on the outboard side off, thinking you can drive the bolt out. It ain't happening and you should have just gone and bought a short 7/8" socket in the first place. Trust me on this one...

2. No jack stand on this planet is going to be able to support the frame of a 'burb at 8 inches of lift. I ended up making a set from a short set of 'ceiling jacks' from Northern tool. BTW, having 8000 plus pounds that high in the air is pretty intimidating, in case you're wondering.

I put a few pictures up at http://www.donttrythisathome.org/modules/Gallery/view_album.php?&set_albumName=album22 I'll post more as the progress continues...

Jake Kooser

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

BTW the shackles only give you 1/4" of lift. They are 1/2" longer than stock.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's too bad we can't just download all this misc. info to a disc and distribute it, but I guess that's what experience is all about.
    I'm with you on the jackstands, we built a custom set a few years ago and have even used our HD sawhorses to hold these things up.

4. Sub_Versive

[ QUOTE ]
    It's too bad we can't just download all this misc. info to a disc and distribute it, but I guess that's what experience is all about.
    I'm with you on the jackstands, we built a custom set a few years ago and have even used our HD sawhorses to hold these things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly have my permission to use those on your website or as the beginning of a 'tips' worksheet. I'll probably get pictures of the 'monster truck' jackstands up on my website soon - got a couple of more springs to replace and some other things to finish first. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jake
    www.donttrythisathome.org

5. Stephen

I was thinking more along the lines of a personal download Matrix style.

6. Sub_Versive

I could have used that tonight. What's the method for getting the steering arm off again? I tried the 'remove the nuts' method, but it doesn't seem interested in moving no matter how I whack it with a hammer or what names I call it /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

And here's a one-in-a-million deal that makes me really wish I'd won the lottery or gotten struck by lightning instead. Anybody else with a small-block running Holley DynoMax headers notice that the extended heavy-duty shackles clash? If I put the nut on the passenger side shackle, it'll rip my collector flanges right off. Damn, the last bolt before I could put it back on the wheels, too. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Maybe it's some kind of sign that I really need a big block in this truck.... Any ideas on the header vs. shackle nut business?

Thanks,

Jake

7. Stephen

Covered on the phone