Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally gonna get some headers. Need some input/advice.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5, Dec 8, 2000.

1. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

I got a little bonus check coming in the next couple of weeks and I want to use the cash to buy some headers and do some exhaust work. I am looking for some input, hints or tips on what works and what doesn't and some references on a brand/type of header and what gaskets work best. Right now I still have the stock exhaust manifold with all that smog pump crap on it and am running 2" pipes with 2.25" 40 series dual Flowmasters. In the exhaust area I am thinking of going with 3" pipes, but am not sure if I want to go with the Flowmasters again. I am wanting to go with something with a more mellower sound. Any ideas on that would help.

Thanks,

Phil
    82K5 Silverado

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its kind of a crapshoot. Every truck/person ends up different. I've seen people put really expensive headers and gaskets on a new engine and have exhaust leaks all the time. I can also remember myself putting $80 Dynomax headers and generic gaskets on my 2nd K5 a long time ago and NEVER having any leaks at all.
    I thought about that when I built up the exhaust on my current truck, and I figured I'd already used up all my good luck and I didn't want any unnecessary leaks. So I use stock manifolds, no emissions, true dual exhaust, 2.25 inch pipes into 2 chamber Flowmasters and then out the sides, tucked up high so nothing will snag the pipes.
    So the Flowmasters you have now are 2 chamber right? And you want a different sound? Try the 3 chamber ones dude. I had a really beefed up 401 in a J**P once and it was just too loud with 2 chambers, so I went with the 3 chambered ones and never looked back. It had a quiet, but throaty idle and really sounded nice when I got on the go pedal. It sounded powerful, but wouldn't wake up everyone within a 3 mile radius. Good luck whatever you do.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

hedman headers are pretty good if you get 1 7/8 primaries,use a fel-pro gasket and buy some gold colored gasket sealer(blue goo)... it is high temp. sealer and works great!!!! i would advise you not to get dual 3" exhaust but get a "Y" pipe to single 3" exhaust system and a 3 chamber flowmaster with a single 3" in and a single 3" out...dual outlets actually take away power from some engines!!! if you were to run dual 3" exhaust,, you might not have enough back pressure to make the motor run very well and could hurt performance in the long run....

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have the same cheapo $80 Dynomax headers that 73 K5 had, and they've been on for a year with no leaks. I have 2 1/2" pipes with Flowmaster 2 chambers. Its loud inside but my truck isnt my daily driver so who cares. If you want a mellower sound, go with the 50 series. They still sound good but without all the noise. I saw a K5 one day that sounded pretty good. I got a closer look and it had 2 Flowtech Terminators. They're only 50 bucks or so each in Jeg's or Summit.</font color=blue>

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just make sure that you get the 4X4 specific headers otherwise your collector will be slamming into your spring hanger. I have some Hedman's and they are wonderful 1-58" primaries

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Doug Thorley are great headers and the cost shows it. When I was looking at the exhaust end of mine I was told the best setup would be 2.25" pipes, also use a H pipe to equalize the pressure of the two pipes, if your going with a true dual exhaust. If your changing to a single exhaust that you should go with a 3" pipe and muffler. If you decide to get different Mufflers I'm thinking of getting a set of flowmasters e-mail me and I might buy them. 62xlch@arizonanet.zzn.com

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

I put a set of Hooker headers on a '73 Z/28 that I used to have. Fit great, even the bracket for the rear of the A/C compressor. Better yet, I never blew a gasket. I am planning to put a set on my '89 K5. Hooker's web address is http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Hooker.html. Was tough to find their website. Tried searches using variations of Hooker, Hooker's, etc. Got lots of sites but none with exhaust pipes.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Now that we are on the subject. Can somebody give me some advise? I've got all the stock exhaust except for someone took the muffler off and welded in a straight pipe, leaving only the catalytic converter. Is this causing me to loose any performance? I think it sounds pretty good. Not to load unless you get on it. But has a medium pur at idle.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

i would take the cat out and put a muffler back on.

just my.02 cents.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The problem wiff dat is that Mr. Tennessee says I have to have that caty on there. They check to see if you have it when you get the emissions check. Less I can gut it and run a straight pipe through it, then to a muffler.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Take the cat off and knock the center out, or open it up neatly and gut it, then "put" it back together.
    Or you could get a hi-flow 3" cat from Summit for about $99..

I took the cat off my '88 3/4 Chevy Conversion van when I had it. I took the exhaust off up to the cat, then started it to see how it sounded with only a cat and the sound didn't change. Those cats restrict quite a bit, so I yanked it(no emissions in OH).. Either gut yours or put a hiflow model on and a Flowmaster or something.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Car Craft magazine recently did some dyno tests to find out what, if any difference a cat made. It ended up that the cat cost something like 3 HP at the very high end of the RPM range. So do the planet a favor and leave the cat where it is. It does more good than bad. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com