Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finally got it back!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Well My Blazer is finally back home and 90% back together!
    The exterior looks great with the Ultimate Lining on it. I went with the dark blue and it looks very sharp!! I get stopped all the time now from people who want to take a closer look and just touch the truck. I describe the look as if the truck was cover with frozen rain! If any one is considering doing this to there truck just a few words of caution. Putting things back together like tail lights, marker lights and the door lock cylinders gets to be a bit of a challange. I'd be willing to bet the lining added 3\16 of an inch or more to the total exterior of the truck so things get to be a tight fit. Some trimming of the lining needes to be done to over come this. I actually had to cut the doors open with a knife the stuff is so strong!

Lots of advantages i feel though. It seems to be a great noise deadner. It covers all little blemishes, I had three silverdollar sized dents in the hood that i'd give you five dollars if you could point them out. All the body filler was wavey but once again you could never tell! No more rust from the outside in. Its a breeze to clean just power wash and let dry, and its all shiny again cant see any water spots! LOTS cheeper than a paint job!!!!!!!!!! And most importantly not to many others like it! Will have pics tomorrow! Hope everyone likes it as much as i do!

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

2. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

that sound cool man i was thinking of doing it to my also. cant wait to see the pics oh yea how much did it cost ? later BB

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

The price was great! He told me $1000 for the complete job. But i talked him into letting ne do all the prep work and come in and mask it all off, so i got the whole outside done for $450 bucks!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bigmeats

4. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

holy sh#t thats cheap were is this guy? i cant wait to get mine done how much heaver do you think it is now? Hurry up and get those pics Im dieing to seee it later BB.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

holly sh#t thats cheap were is this guy? i cant wait to get mine done how much heaver do you think it is now? Hurry up and get those pics Im dieing to seee it later BB.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Its hard to say how much weight it added. Let me tell you you deffenetly can feel the weight diff in the hood when u open it. I love the look!!!! I think i said that already! Im borrowing my dads digital camera tomorrow should be posted then! I think you will like it as much as i do!!
    Later,

Bigmeats

7. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

couple questions for ya. i considered doing this back in may to mine when i did the interior, but ran outa time. did you pull the windshield and cap window rubber and line that area?? if so, how do they seal now?? were the windows any harder to get back in? did you pull the window rubber on the doors?? did you line the door jams?? what kind of prep work did you do? are you having to cut back the lining for all the lights?? glad to hear it came out great. im still thinkin' about doin' mine, just kinda sketchy on the things mentioned. any and all advice would be appreciated. thanx.

EODBRIAN

8. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

EODBRIAN,
    Let me start with the things i removed, lock cylinders,tail lights and the plastic housing behind them, front marker lights, the grill,and all the crome up front, both bumpers, wipers, the plastic thingamajig on the cowl, and the hard top.

I masked the rubber around the windsheild and the door windows. I would recomend removing the door window rubber if possible might make the post prep work easier. I did not get the door jams "lined" so i masked and papered where i did not want it hit. I also totaly enclosed the inner wheel wheel area so there would be no lining on the shocks and what not. Over spray travels a long way with with stuff. I still managed to get some lining on the shocks and springs but not to much to complain about.

There was some trimming needed to replace the marker lights and the lock cylinders. The dremel and a rasp bit made quick work of this job. There was also som extra trimming around the rubber of the windshield where i did not mask so well with the special tape(it has wire in it). I also cleaned up the larger texture globuals around the wheel openings and the bottom of the truck, kind of looked like drips of water hanging from these areas.

I preped the truck by sanding it with 80 grit sand paper. The shop said i could use 36 grit but when i tried it it ate through my body filler to quickly. They also recomended that there was no bare metal, but of course i had some so they hit the bare spots with some self etching primer for me.

hope this helpes if you have any mor ?'s just shoot!!

Bigmeats

9. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

thanx for the response. you pulled the top off. did you get the top done off the truck?? did you mask off the area where the top sits on the bed?? post some pics when you get a chance.

EODBRIAN

10. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I lined the top of the rails and that 1 inch of inside rail also just so when the top is off it all matches. I did not mask or cover anything in the inside bed area and received a bed liner for free. I could not believe the amount of over spray the gun they use produces. the bed area is not as thick as the outside but for free who can complain!!
    pics are being posted as soon as im done here!

Bigmeats

11. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

EODBRIAN, pics are posted!! Just thought i'd let u know

Bigmeats