Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got it running well enough to pull (pics so dialup beware)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After months of issues with trying to get parts, chasing gremlins, locking up a front hub bearing on the spindle on the 78 (thanks for all those CK5 members that supplied parts), and blowing up the rear end on the 78 after fixing the front (at least now it has an Eaton posi). I finally got the 80 back together and running enough to pull. Still have fuel issues but was able to come in 3rd place with an SBC. I beat out 454's, 460's and other big block equipped rigs. The guy in first is running a solid lifter 454 meticulously balanced taching at 7400+. I have hydraulic lifters and set the limiter at 6500. Considering less cubic inches and rpms I don't think I did that bad. I probably could have had 2nd but took my foot out of it and was not able to get the RPM's back up.

Here are some pics of this past weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It feels good to actually be able to drive it now. It was supposed to be finished end of August, and it was just finished this past week (nothing like waiting for parts.....) /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

Truck looks great! Where you from and what class you pulling? I picked up a rust bucket 79 K10 last year for $100, then found a 3/4 ton frame and axles for $300. I'm shooting to get this put all together and have it putting out a decent amount of power by this coming summer so I can pull in stock class.

5. Leadfoot

***Please fill out your profile***

I pull in the "street legal" class. We are always looking for new members to join and/or pull for fun. If you need more info, just PM me.

I'm from Hatfield, MA. (just North of Northampton on 91)

If you look in my sig, you will see the site I created for our club (www.matpa.org)

It has the rules for the club and each class.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Does that sled engage the ground? How far did you pull?

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

What happened to the 454? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

SWEET!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Leadfoot

[ QUOTE ]
    What happened to the 454?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my secret weapon for next year /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

With everything going wrong with both trucks and trying to work 2 and a half jobs, the 454 has taken a back seat. I prime it with a drill driving the oil pump and turn the motor over every couple of weeks.

It is going to be a winter/spring project. Once I get it in and running, I'll snap a few pics and send them your way.

Thanks again for shipping it out.

10. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Leadfoot

[ QUOTE ]
    Does that sled engage the ground? How far did you pull?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the sled engages the ground. The front wheels are hydraulically raised which sits the pan on the ground (carbide teeth underneath the pan). At the start the weight box is toward the rear making the front end very light. When you start, it's just like pulling a heavy trailer as the transfer weight is over the wheels, as the weight box transfers forward the weight goes to the front of the sled and it starts to dig into the ground. The sled stays the same weight for every class, but the rate at which the box moves forward changes. The 2WD modifies are running blown motors in excess of 2000 HP or very high torque (one truck is a twin turbo 903 cubic inch Cummins diesel) and the sled stops them (of course the weight transfers MUCH quicker than when the street guys pull. You can see pics on our website of what the different classes are like. I'm hoping to have more pics up within the coming weeks as we hired someone to take digital pics at Sunday's pull.

I pulled 270 feet. There were no full pulls in the street legal class. I don't remember what first place got but I was only 3 feet behind second.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's pretty cool!!

I did a similar pull in September. I pulled 286 feet or something. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Leadfoot

Some Random Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow!! Your pulls are WAY different than ours. Those rigs would be SOOOOOOOOOO illegal here (cut tires, engines through the hood, fiberglass etc!

15. Leadfoot

Well, they are divided into 4 different classes (we don't run together). Street legal cannot have cut tires, open headers, etc. If you check the link in my sig and then go to the street legal page, you will see all of our rules for street trucks.

The sled has a large number of settings to compensate for varying classes and track conditions. Depending on how it's set sometimes we have several guys full pulling and then going back for a pull off, and sometimes we don't even get close to even one truck having a full pull.

The cool part is that we did not buy the sled, guys from our club (before I joined), designed and built it. It moves under it's own power using a chevy 350 as it was cheap, powerful, and parts were readily available. It uses 1 TH400, to move the unit, and several manual transmissions hooked together to vary the rate on the box plus a high/low rearend. A compressor and hydraulic pump operate all the pneumatic and hydraulic cylinders which control varying functions on the sled. It's actually pretty cool in a monster garage kind of way. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif