Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINALLY! Got me anew rear (14 bff) Coming!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Apr 23, 2006.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Been riding on prayers the past year and a 1/2 to 2 years that my axle wasn't going to give up on me. I don't drive the K5 except to hunt out of anymore, but due to the yoke on the stock rear being extremely loose, I was going through u-joints like crazy.

I bit the bullet and bought this one on ebay today

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-14-bolt-rear-4-56-detroit-disc-brakes-dana-60_W0QQitemZ8058648126QQcategoryZ33731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

all my overtime is paying off I guess :D

I plan to swap rears, and just unhook the front shaft until I can get a 60 for up front since the gears are differant. ( hopefully have it by hunting season)...going to just get some el cheapo 8 lug rims and keep the same 33" tires until then.

Anything I need to know about the swap? been reading the articles on tech, but I've never done it before.

Wheres a good place on lineto get some new u-bolts that will fit this axle?

What about brakes? Do I need to buy a proportioning valve or something to get these to work? Line lock or other for an e-brake?

Is that enuff questions?? :D

Hell, I'm excited...I'll finally be able to drive the K5 without worrying about the rear end grenading on me. :D

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

seams kind of of pricey. especially if your going to re gear it. I spent a total of $550 on my 14ff but it had 4.10s which I needed. It's locked, shaved and disk'd that I did on my own. I'm going to be re gearing it soon. so It should be under $900 total. not trying to bring you down. but you waited long enough that you could have been building it during that couple of years that you been praying that your axle doesn’t blow up on you.

anyways you'll need a conversion ujoint and ubolts and you may have to move the spring perches and shock mounts. I have a feeling that the axle was a surplus 14ff for a cucv that all they did was a disk brake conversion to....

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You realize the rear he got was brand spanking new?

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

yeah, I do realize that! I'm just saying thats alot of cash for a axle that he's going to re gear and something he could have been building through out that 2 year period. but then again it's his cash :D

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like he's regearing the front when he finds a D60. Disc brake kit is 300-500 depending on who you get it from. Therefore at the most he only paid 675 for a brand new detroit, dana gears and new housing with axles and hubs.

I understand he might have gotten a better deal on a good used one, but he know the condition of this one without ever even replacing a seal.

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well if that's the case then yeah it's a good deal.

7. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

You will have to move the spring pads and shock mounts,pretty good idea that those were military surplus.

8. XCUATRO

XCUATRO Registered Member

Congrats, I was looking at that auction but shipping to the west coast would cost too much.Let me/us know how the install goes.

9. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Sweet axle....but it was hella expensive. I got the same setup, brand new for $550. But, its good to see someone doing some upgrades.:D
    -Harrison

12. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I would not drop the front drive shaft, even though your gearing is different then front and back you may find yourself needing it, it can be used for emergency situations. I have 5.13's in the back and 3.73's in the front, currently building my d60, which of course will be 5.13's. I had to use 4x4 both Sat. and Sun., but this is only in mud. I have personally know one person who bought a truck new and it was geared wrong from the factory and he used it all the time! Took the dealer a long time to figure out the problem. For my 2 cents I think you got a decent deal, I put a hair over $2500 into my 14bff, what a money sucking addiction this is.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Running mismatched gears will destroy your ring and pinion. It may work for a while in slick mud where there is zero traction, but when I was 4.56 in the rear and 3.42 in the front with the 4wd engaged on the grass, it was pushing the front tires along. Drove like crap, made a horrible noise, and probably wouldnt have made it much farther than the 50 feet i drove it.:crazy:
    -Harrison

14. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I did say emergency situations.

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah...i got ya. If i were him though, i just wouldnt get myself into a situation that needed 4x4 until i re-geared. Better safe than sorry. But if you must, it can be done in emergency situations....its just iffy
    -Harrison

16. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Buddy of mine had an 84 shortbed, 2.73 front 3.08 rear. He decided to take a short cut through a little mud pit and got stuck. Put it in 4wd and broke his front ujoint straps, it was pretty sticky mud not real slimy. So i'd stay away from the mud.

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Just stay out of 4wd thats all. Dont go wheeling if your gears arent matched. Slimy mud may be the only thing thats ok....but to run mismatched gears on high traction surfaces such as rock.....:shame: :shame: :shame:
    -Harrison