Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got me some 1 tons! And ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Feb 20, 2007.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Finally got me some 1 tons. Pics aren't very good but I can more. I also got a set of 6 inch alcans for the front. I got a lot of work to do on them though. The dana 60 has a broken stud. And I have to shave all of the stuff off of the 14 bolt so I can move my perches in. And it's off of a 1995 1 ton truck so the shock mounts are different (I think), but it gives me an excuse to get the DIY's shock inboarding kit. I got to get a hoist first though to get them out of the back of my truck. Would you ya'll advise doing the rear disc conversion off of the truck or on the truck? I was thinking that for now I would get them ready and put them on the truck and do the conversion later. Also, how much do dana 60 U-joints run? I don't have the chromoly shafts yet so I don't think I will get the CTM ones. I plan on putting them on the truck with the open diffs for now just to get me going. I can't wait until payday so I can get a hoist and get them down out of the truck and get started.

Edit: Oh yeah.... almost forgot :saweet:

2-19 025.jpg

2-19 026.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats!

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Sweet. :thumb:

You could always get a couple of buddies to drop by and give you a hand dragging them off. It's pretty easy work with 4 guys.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love how you have them chained together.

5. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

sweet. I hope to be in that category one day. :D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice. I just started working on my 14BFF this weekend.

7. littlejimmythatcould

That's right! NO ONE is taking my stuff!:angry1: That's my Iraq money sitting there. The wife and I drove all over Denver with them in the back this weekend. We got all kinds of dirty looks from people. Don't worry though the alcans were safe in the hotel room :D The alcans are chained up now too, I will probably move them into the front yard today. As for the axles, I would just feel safer with the hoist, plus it will come in handy later when I get a trailer to haul parts on. And I get to buy a new tool! I've got to get those H1's that I have taken apart still and get them out of the way so I have room for these. I hope the H1's are good. I will throw a set on the axles to make them easier to move around. Don't worry GMC4cw, I haven't forgot about you.;)

8. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

i would get a bigger chain and lock [​IMG] nah im just playin, if i knew where you was i would wait till you was sleepin and have my trusty bold cutters and i would attempt at movin them myself hahahahaha still playin, one day i will have that front, one day till then ill just keep dream dana 60, dana 60 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. littlejimmythatcould

I thought of that! There are 3 locks cleverly placed around the chain around the axles. :D I may work around jets all day and be close to deaf, but you can bet your a$$ I'd hear someone rattling that chain around trying to get at those locks. I was thinking about putting a junk yard dog back there too.:rolleyes: That was my biggest fear leaving them unattended while the wife and I went in to eat at places. But the average theif does not know what they are and their value.

But anyways, back to my question: Disc brake conversion on or off the truck?

10. cbbr

I'm doing everything before I install mine.

11. littlejimmythatcould

Cool, I have the stuff to do it (except for the brackets and the different valve). I was just thinking about running the drums just so that I could feel the difference when I put the discs on. That's dumb though I guess.

12. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

do it off the truck, they'll be a little lighter to move around.

13. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

yep ...

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My 60 had a broken stud also. I used my mig welder to weld a nut on top of the broken piece. Worked like a charm, on the second attempt.

I used a nut that was too big the first time and I couldn't get a good weld between the nut and stud piece because I was worried about welding to the housing. Used the next size smaller the second time and that's when it worked.

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Ditto times eleventy trillion.. :D I've saved the build up of my 14 and 60 for the end, since they sit out in the weather. But I'll be starting them any day now.

While you have them out, you may want to run a weld around the axle tubes at the diff. That way you won't have to worry about spinning an axle tube.. :doah: Better safe than sorry.

16. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

get some pics of the drums/hubs on the 14, you may have slip off drums with would mean a high dollar disc kit

17. cbbr

Good idea. I never thought of that, but will absolutely do it now.

18. littlejimmythatcould

Awesome, great info! :bow: I would never have thought about running a bead around the axle tube. Again, with the arc welder question: Will my arc welder work for that? I will get some pics of those drums today after work. And I will have to pull the nuts off of the other 3 studs to see how much is sticking up to see if welding to it is an option. That or I may remove the knuckle and have the machine shop at work see if they can remove it. :eek1: Wow, looks like I may have more work than I originally thought. I can't wait to get started as soon as I get a hoist on the 1st. This site rocks! I appreciate ya'lls help.

Separate and unrelated question. I have read about the ratchet strap method to get the runflats out of the tire for the H1's. I guess you wrap the strap around the circumference of the tire and ratchet it down and pull it out. They are mounted inside old Humvee tires so cutting the tire is going very tuff. And unbolting them into two pieces may be difficult also because they are kind of corroded. Thanks guys. :bow:

19. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you are going to cut the tire off then you can use a metal cutting wheel on the bead. It will smoke and make a mess but it will go right through.

20. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

do you feel like bending over under the truck or up on some saw horses where you can stand up im guess i would want to stand up haha, that sittin on the ground and leanin just gets to me and im only 23, wow i feel like an old man grrrrrrrrrr lmao