Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINALLY got my 1 tons

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jul 2, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Picked up the '86 K30 today. I suppose my '84 will never be the same!

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Just curious but how much $ did you have to shell out?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Who ya gonna sell 'em to? Aren't you the same guy that used to swear that 10-bolt axles would hold up just fine? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Who ya gonna sell 'em to? Aren't you the same guy that used to swear that 10-bolt axles would hold up just fine? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Has held up just fine for me, but why not? I have thought about selling them, don't get me wrong.

I have always said with a small block and an open diff, a 10 bolt FRONT or D44 will live with almost any size tire in the mud, which has proved true for my friend's and my experiences. I have never vouched for the strength of any 1/2 ton rear axle. I've destroyed two different ones just in my '84 alone.

But I'm not going to leave it open, and I'm probably not going to run a small block for long. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I payed $1400 for the entire 1 ton truck. The body isn't really that rough, cab corners and rockers have a little rust, around the wheel wells, the tailgate, rear bumper, and drivers side floor pan are all slightly rusty. No holes in the body anywhere except for the driver's floorpan (which has a piece over it at the moment) but the rest of the rusty areas have some good surface rust. The bed could be repaired, and that, along with some cab corners, rockers, drivers floor pan, and new fenders and inners would make it a perfect work truck.

Hopefully when I sell it, I can get the Swampers I want an a halfway decent winch.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I forgot to mention. The old man I bought it from didn't have a clue what he had. He just thought he was selling me an old work truck.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I forgot to mention. The old man I bought it from didn't have a clue what he had. He just thought he was selling me an old work truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what We All hope for is an unsuspecting, unknowing seller. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm gonna call him and tell him what You did to him, how much more dough he could have made. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That's what We All hope for is an unsuspecting, unknowing seller. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm gonna call him and tell him what You did to him, how much more dough he could have made. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know!! I've been waiting for 3 years for this! Thank God I finally got one.

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

can you swap your good stuff to the K30?
    there is a ton of stuff on the k30 that make them desireable.
    the frame and the hydraboost

I broke d44 w open difs in the mud and extremely deep snow

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    can you swap your good stuff to the K30?
    there is a ton of stuff on the k30 that make them desireable.
    the frame and the hydraboost

I broke d44 w open difs in the mud and extremely deep snow

[/ QUOTE ]

My truck is a shortbox.

I'd prefer to swap the K30 stuff to my truck. I don't like longbed trucks (don't ask why I own two of them!!)