Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finally got my 14b now a few Q's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Jun 28, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

finally got my 14b now a few Q\'s?

I just found a perfect 14 bolt FF at the U-pull it today, and I only had to tear into one other rear end to find the 4.10's I was looking for...now I have a prob, the 14bolt was outta a big van and I didnt realize but the spring perches are like 51" apart wheras my 10bolt is I think 45....Plus the perches are only 2" wide whereas my 10bolts are 2.5" now will that be a prob?? I know I will need to have someone cut the perches (dont have the equip /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and relocate them, or maybe just get new wider ones since they have to come off, anyways does this sound like the right course of action? and wheres a good reputable place to take them to have them done?? OR if someone near my neck of the woods would be willing to do this (and has b4 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) I'd be willing to pay them in either US currency or liquid cash i.e. BEER!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also is there ANY difference in the Van 14bolt FF and truck ones OTHER then percg location?? maybe I should have done some research prior to my course of action...I was just excited to find them for pretty cheap, and exactly the gears I needed.

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Re: finally got my 14b now a few Q\'s?

To bad you wernt closer id move them for ya. Ever make a trip to the middle of washington let me know.

3. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    To bad you wernt closer id move them for ya. Ever make a trip to the middle of washington let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I cant find anyone more local...U may be seeing me pull up to yer driveway /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif cuz I want this thing under my truck ASAP

4. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

If you dont have it done by the 5th of july let me know. Im going to Dearborn MI from the 1st to the 5th. Any time after that.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

vans alone are wider than c series

vans are whole different chassis, everything is 3 or 4" wider than c series from a van, except for the upper control arms are same but thats all

you found a desireable axle for a good deal but its not gonna do you any good unless you move spring pads and then you could have an axle closer to same width as your front

i dont know why anyone thinks vans share much of anything in common with trucks other than some of the design, lol

good luck

6. smprider112

I have done a little research since I bought it...and I see I need to move the spring pads...and Im pretty happy that the axle is actually wider, which is a big bonus....I guess I still should have done some research b4 I bought it but I was so excited I found an un-molested rear end with the gears I wanted for cheap....now I just need to find where I can buy new spring perches.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

8. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Hi Pinion, do you know whether that 3" perch has enough material to modify it to work on the 14 bolt's 3 3/8" axle tube? Sure would be an easy way to go if the original perches are damaged during removal.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I get my perches from my local trailer supply. They are the same ones 4WPW sells but alot cheaper. I pay $8 a pair. Here is a online source.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=3-48&Category_Code=

Now, these are for a 3 1/2" round axle tube and the 14FF has 3 3/8" round axle tubes. I used 3" round axle tube perches. A good welder can make either work.

One other thing, If you are lazy and don't care how it looks, you can leave the van's original perch in place. The new perch will fit inbetween with plenty of room to weld them up. Take it from me when I say that the big cast perches on that axle take plenty of time to cut/grind off. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

10. Yukon Jack

That is a bargin price - thanks for sharing that link!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

The link is just for refrence. Once shipping is factored in at that place, the cost goes way up. Your local trailer builder/parts supplier will be the best, least expensive place to get them.

12. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]

One other thing, If you are lazy and don't care how it looks, you can leave the van's original perch in place. The new perch will fit inbetween with plenty of room to weld them up. Take it from me when I say that the big cast perches on that axle take plenty of time to cut/grind off. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will leaving them on leave enough room for the shackles to fit too?? Cuz i think Im gonna go the lazy route, these things are the heavy duty cast ones.

also will those spring perches be wide enough?? I know the van ones are like 2" and my trucks stock ones are 2 1/2" or does that not really matter?

13. Yukon Jack

Local store right down from me has them for a little more than $4 but they are only 1 3/4 wide so wondering about whether that is enough. Will have to measure my stock ones tonight to get an idea of the difference.

14. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

adding to the post not stealing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I recently made my own perches out of some 2 x 2 x 3/16" tubing. You guys think that will be strong enough? I should have used 2 1/2" tubing but didn't have any on hand. Would there be a lift block instability with the 2" width. As long as the ubolts are tight I don't see a problem what do you guys think?

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

There is plenty of room there to weld them on and run them without cutting the old ones off. You want your perch to be 2 1/2" wide. You can get away with a 2" wide perch.

[ QUOTE ]

Will leaving them on leave enough room for the shackles to fit too?? Cuz i think Im gonna go the lazy route, these things are the heavy duty cast ones.

also will those spring perches be wide enough?? I know the van ones are like 2" and my trucks stock ones are 2 1/2" or does that not really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]