Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got my 2950 hooked up.

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by divorced, Jan 7, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've been without a radio for quite a while, so I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather to mount some antennas and install one of my old 2950's. The antenna pic is kind of dark, but it's two Francis 5 1/2' antennas. The radio is an older "orange" display RCI-2950 with a one pill amp built onto the back and an SP1-A speech processor installed. It does real well for what it is, and it's great to be back on the radio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

RCI 2950, great radio. Have had a few of them.

3. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about getting one of those for about 10 years now. Can you adjust the frequency on the mike? Any reliability issues? How about 11M conversion? is it fairly simple, like buying/installing crystals or does a pro need to do it?

Thanks

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

They are good radios. The old series has an orange display, and the new DX series has a green display. The new DX series has surface mount components in it. The stock mic has up/down buttons for the frequency, but I use a Road King 56 mic on mine. You can still have the up/down buttons if you can fit them in the mic housing, usually they will fit in an Astatic 636-L. The 11 meter conversion on the older ones is done by simply moving (or removing) a jumper inside the radio, and I think the newer ones are the same. The only problems with the older ones is sometimes the internal "memory" battery goes bad and it needs replaced.

5. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.