Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINALLY Got My Rough Idle/ Stalling Problem Fixed!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, May 7, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah!

Ever since I bought my '87 K5, 350 TBI last April, it has had a problem with rough idle while moving (like going across a parking lot slow), especially if you have to give it a little gas then you have to let off it would die. It would also die sometimes in 4x4 or if you held the brake and tried to give it a little gas at the same time.

After checking vacuum lines, changing the throttle position sensor and idle control sensor, I was at Autozone today and happened to talk to one of the older, more experienced salesmen (who also works at the local Chevy dealer)...here's what he had me do:

he told me to take the vacuum line off of the EGR valve and plug it. I wasn't sure if I needed to plug both ends where the line hooked up, or just one, so I did both. It ran fine.

I went back up there and he wasn't there. I told the other guy I guess I needed an EGR valve...before he could figure out which one I needed, the other dude walks in and I told him it worked. He said "OK - your EGR valve is OK then..you need a EGR valve solenoid". They listed 2, one for $64.99 and the other was $9.99...luckily mine was the $9.99 version /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Runs great now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I even took it around Walmart parking lot for a test (that's where it seems to stall on me everytime)

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

feels great when it runs that much better....

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Cool, and a cheap fix too! It would suck to be stuck in the Walmart lot, might get ran over or something.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

well it always started right back up, it just sucks (even though I'm married) to slow down to let a cute gal walk across and your truck stalls /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif no more though...heck, I may start cruising the mall LOL (NOT)