Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got my tow rig back to snuff

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Sandman, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Last camping trip, I had the slide in camper on and was towing the trailor with the blazer on it. I had all kinds of noises and grinding sounds coming from all over the drivetrain. I didnt think I was going to make it home! In the end I ended up replacing...

- Bearing style of pilot bushing. The bearings were piled up in the front with just the outside housing still there.

- The Clutch. In OK condition. A little burnt though.

- Throwout bearing. Bearings were shot.

- Carrier bearing on the driveline. It was bad enough that you could move the driveline around by hand and the bearing itself was very loose.

- Ujoints on driveline. Two were OK. the middle one had been overheated, no grease at all (sealed version) and one of the caps had a fine powder instead of the roller bearings in it.

- Fluid in the NV4500. Last owner had put gear oil in it. Syncros were starting to whine and it would get real hot everytime I hit the freeway or pulled a load. I could smell the oil in it. I found the correct lube for it at the dealor for $9.91 per quart.

This was on my '92 Dually 4x4.

I'm glad I've got it done. I've got a few cords of firewood to haul tomorow. Should last me years now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Autozone sells synchromesh for about $4 a quart. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Glad you got it all worked out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sounds like it needed some TLC.

John

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Autozone sells synchromesh for about $4 a quart. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's only one brand, I think Pennzoil, and it's not on the front, you've got to check the back of the bottle to varify.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Doh! didnt you see my "For those of you with NV4500's" post?!@#?!@#! like 8 months ago?!@# /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif