Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got my winch on!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, May 22, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I finally broke down and installed my new Warn HS9500i!!!! It didn't take very long to install. They do need to give you a template for the (4) mounting holes which would make it much easier to install.
    Unfotunately, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the first chance I do, I will be hookin up the cable and winchin someone out!
    Just thought I would let everyone know!
    If anyone has any questions about my install, drop me a line. I will try and get some pics up, but it may be a little while.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey dude don't know if you've donit yet but you should spool out your cable and hook it to an ancor or drag something heavy and wind up your cable nice and tight!!
    Frome what i've read if you don't have tight windings your cable will get pulled thru the layers the first time you put a load on it!
    Congrats on the perchase that is the same one I want to get some day,got the bumper just no winch yet[​IMG]
    later

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Congratulation on the purchase, I want one of those too, how much did you pay for the winch and the bumper? and make the first vehicle you pull a F*rd I love how they look hooked to a K5, I pulled one out and I got it on video and it looks good anyway good luck with the new winch later.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

4. Emmettology 101

Ya, I am going to do that within the next couple days. iwill definately do that before I pull someone. They had that tip in the instruction book.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"

5. Emmettology 101

A firend of mine and myself built the bumper oout of 3.5" od tubing and 1/4" plate(for the mounting brackets)..
    The bumper is he length of the main grille(fron inside of the headlight to inside of the headlight) and is cut with a slant on the ends. It has a plate on top to stand on and that is now my winch mounting plate. I also have a large bracket on the front to mount a large Clevis.
    The bumper is extremely strong. I have Hi-Lifted myself sideways out of a big hole and the bumper didn't budge. I have also yanked a few trcuks out at 4x4 night(with about 4-6 feet of slack in a HD chain)..

I paid about $769 including shipping for the winch. I bought it from Modern Pioneering. www.mpioneer.com I believe the price has gone up since I bought mine during a sale.
    I will try and get some pics up of both the bumper and the winch mounted on the bumper.
    Within the next couple months, we will be taking the bumper apart and upscaling some of the brackets to larger sizes. Right now the side brackets are 1/4" and the mounting plate is a little over an 1/8". I will be upscaling the side brackets to 1/2"(just to be safe) and the mounting plate to 1/4" to be up to Warns specs.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OUCH!! Yanking with a CHAIN?? Talk about whiplash! Not real healthy for your frame either...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

7. Emmettology 101

Ya, that is why I got the winch. No more manual labor for my Jimmy!!! LOL

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"