Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got rid of my TBI woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

As y'all know, I've had a nightmare of a time trying to get this TBI worked out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Finally got the new on (I strogly suspect a casting flaw was causing the first Holley TBI to have an internal air leak) adjusted and it runs great!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifIt's much stronger throughout the entire RPM range and with the TV cable adjusted correctly, the shift points are nice and firm at 4000rpm. I haven't had a chance to check fuel mileage, but I think it should be better because the old one had a pretty good fuel leak from the presure regulater. Oh yea almost forget about the timing being 5 degrees to slow.

The only problem that I still have is a little bit of pinging in a high load, full throttle situtation. If I back the timing off, I get a lot of hesitation, so I guess I'll have to live with it or start using an octain booster. But aside from that (and a u-joint that I need to replace) life is good again. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

You know my neighbor had the exact symptoms with his holly fuel injection. He ended up breaking a piston from the pinging. His also had an air leak, from a factory bad part. He ended up rebuilding the engine and getting a tuned port injection system from a camaro. If you ask me, the symptoms are too similar to disregard a real issue with Holly EFI's.

4. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Ya, I may retard the timing a touch tomorrow to ease the pinging and I have a hunch that I will be using some octain booster this summer when pulling my boat. I want to get some more time on it so the ECM can fully adjust to it ( Holley tech guy said an hour or two). If I'm still having pinging problems, I'll be back on the horn to Holley tech support.

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Are you running HEI ignition? If so, stick the heavier springs in it to smooth out the mechanical advance a little.
    You might also try using a step cooler plugs.

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What's your compression ratio?

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Removing my plugged up ass Cat Converter solved my pinging problems....