Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got the fenders trimmed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Sep 6, 2006.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Found out (at the cost of a Bogger with less than 50 miles on it :eek1: ) 35's will not fit with only six inches of lift. I needed to do some trimming. Wasn't sure how to do it and still have it look decent (not real hot on the hacked look) so a buddy of mine came by to help me out. Ended up trimming off about six inches of the front part of the front fender.

[​IMG]

Couldn't figure out how to cut the rear of the fender so it was uniform on both sides until we remembered that all the build shows on Discovery use cardboard templates. Who says there is nothing good on t.v.? :rolleyes: So we cut a template of what we wanted and marked up the fender and started cutting. Ended up with this:

[​IMG]

As we had to cut out the inner fender liner as well the rear part of the fender was a little weak. So we fabbed up a lip to weld on.

[​IMG]

The lip covers up the cut edges, and adds a lot of strength back to fender, easily as strong as the uncut fender. Had to cut some rust out of the inner fenders, so I still have to weld in a new piece.

I could not flex out all the way before the trim, but after I am pretty confident I will be able to fit 38's on it and not rub.

[​IMG]

Had to put the passenger tire in the ditch so we didn't max out our "ramp" :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

One thing I did learn, is that Chevy has a lousy design to their fenders. When we cut the rear part of the fender, there was ALOT of mud, leaves, etc. in there. Looks like it comes down from the top of the fenders. I am going to put a couple one inch holes on the bottom of the inner fender liner so that can all drain out, and I can get a hose in there to wash it out. I have enough rust problems as it is. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Also figured out that body work is harder than I thought. I smoothed the paint out and shot it with some rattle can to keep the rust off. As soon as the paint hit it, I could see every low spot. :eek1: Guess I will have to smooth all that out with some Metal 2 Metal or something.

I have been out since March with a messed up back, but hopefully I will finally get to take it out for a little break in run. I have not been able to wheel it since I swapped in the axles and put the lift on. Should be an eye opener. :woot: :woot: With my luck lately I will probably flop it. :haha:

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

beautiful. that kind of work takes more patients then what Ive got and I kinda like the hacked up look. makes it harder to cover up if someone steals it.:D

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I started with patience with my fenders, but then i liked the cutoff wheel and had some fun..

I was able to fit 38's with no trim....But i couldnt go over speedbumps fast...

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Yeah, after reading up on here, I figured I could fit 35's no problem..... and you can as long as you never leave the pavement. Well, that won't work for me! Little scary taking a cut off wheel to perfect fenders. :eek1:

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

My blazer didnt have a dent on it.

6" and 38's 20 min. after i finished it
    [​IMG]

Fully trimmed and no rub-
    [​IMG]

Now its wider and i need to cut the rear inner fender lip so it wont cut my outside lugs, otherwise no rub-
    [​IMG]

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Heath, those fenders look GREAT!! :bow: If I go to recut mine at some point, I'll try to do them nice like that.. I need to :hack: a bit more off anyway...

keep up the good work!!