Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got the tow rig together...pics....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Jul 8, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welp, after quite a few 60+ hour weeks and a lot of late night knucklebusting, my truck/tow rig is almost complete. I need to tweak the hold down system on the trailer, mount rear shocks, and weld my front driveshaft, but it's almost complete.

On a side note, I had two interesting surprises when I went to pick up the trailer: First, the 7 pin to 6 pin adaptor was wired incorrectly, causing the trailer brakes to lock solid and blow the stop/turn fuse in the truck. The guy I bought the trailer from just gave me his original and it works like a charm. The second nice surprise I got was while loading the truck. The fenders are plenty sturdy enough to drive over. This means no big gay wooden ramps for me, I just plant one side on a fender and run it over. I haven't pulled it yet with the truck on it because the only ball mount I have is a class 3, and I need a class 5, and also the tie downs need to be messed with. I'm gonna weld on some d-rings for safety and simplicity's sake. Anyways, here's the rig together...

Picture 033.jpg

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

man your k5 is just domanating that trailer. looks good way kool:wink1:

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Looks great....

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ford 350?
    I like! Nice work. What size is the trailer?

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

wow thats two nice trucks you got there

6. mikey_d05

The trailer is an 18 foot 10,000 pounder. One thing I don't like about it is that since the ramps slide in the back, there are no legs, so when I load the truck, it puts a ton of stress on the coupler. I'll probably end up making some swing down legs just for peace of mind.

BTW, the pickup is my dad's, but since I'll probably buy it from him when he gets a new one (if Ford ever figures out the 6.0 that is) this is what my rig will look like for some time.

7. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

What name brand is that trailer? Do they have a web site?

8. mikey_d05

The trailer is a StarLite. Built in Claremore, OK I believe. There are brakes on both axles because of Oklahoma state law and they come standard with breakaway kits over a certain weight. To be perfectly honest, the welds on it aren't the most impressive things in the world, but I've seen larger trailers with much worse. Their website is: http://www.starlitetrailers.com/index.html but it was last updated in 2002 so it's not anywhere near current. There are a ton of options to can add too, like rubrails, landscaper's gates, bulldog couplers, etc. I'll stop now.