Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally got the tranny fixed, now shifts like a car....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Dec 7, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, it took exactly one week to swap trannie's but my new tranny shifts like a car. the torque converter blew in the old one and i was wondering if it would b safe to switch the valve body into the new one out of the other one. since the tranny itself didnt go, just the TC, is it safe to switch em?? thanx

NITRO

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

As long as you clean it out real well I don't see why it would be a problem unless there's a difference between years? I would think you could swap the spacer plate and valve body over but I don't know for sure, hopefully one of the Guru's will confirm this?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

is there n e way to make it shift harder w/o putting in my other valve body??

NITRO

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a shift kit.

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

It the TQ failed then there is possibility that it took the rest of the tranny with it. The is what happened to my '83.

I blew the front seal out. Had the tranny rebuilt. They reused the old TQ with the new rebuild. Wasn't 3 months later and I was up at Big Lake, AZ and the TQ let loose. It roasted the rest of the tranny. So it had to be towed back to Mesa and they rebuilt it a second time.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    is there n e way to make it shift harder w/o putting in my other valve body??

[/ QUOTE ]
    I went from like 13 shift balls in the valve body of my 700r4 to like 3 or 4 (transdrive in Lafayette rebuilt it with a shift kit too).