Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally no more exhaust fumes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Sep 23, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

This week end I had my exhaust moved to come out in front of the left rear tire and finally I can drive with my rear window open without inhaling those nasty exhaust fumes. I realize this is not the best option for clearance but since I do most of my driving in the desert and in the dunes it should be OK. As an added bonus the exhoust now has a deeper rumble to it since the exhaust now ends only aprox. 20" from the flowmaster. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats good to know! I finally took my top off and left it off to combat the fumes.. but now, I might look into routing the exhaust there.

Your rather close, there's a run in Truckhaven Hills this Oct 20th which is over by the Salton Sea.

3. GloNDark

GloNDark Registered Member

do you have any pics of how it was re-routed? just finished putting headers, an cross pipe and a flow master on my 85 and I am trying to figure out the best way to dump the tip out in front of the tire.

Thanks!
    Chris

4. bajaviking

I will try and take some pictures so you can see where it comes out. The Truckhaven thing sounds like fun, do I need to register in advance or can I just show up. Please let me know the details. Thanks.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I think this year it will be the first SoCalBigDawgs Safari, they are a good group to wheel with so you can just show up.

Theres a thread on it in the SoCalBigDawgs forum on CK5.

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing, no fumes at all anymore, top off, window open, doesn't matter. [​IMG]
    It does kill ground clearance a bit, but that will be fixed after the body lift (allowing me to route over the frame rail instead of under it.) Also thinking about dumping out from a cut out in the rocker panel.....

7. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

why does moving the exhaust closer to the window remove fumes. You would thing routing it farthest back would be better.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think marv_springers exhaust is like that... might want to shoot him a line for a picture.
    i am thinking of a stack out the back of my bed just behind me, the future driver, with a few layers of metal shielding. then make it an inch or so higher than the roll cage if i roll over.
    grant

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of where mine exits....

Marv

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

In my last blazer, I had the exhaust angle down, out, and dump just before the back axle. I never had an exhaust smell. When I put my 454 in, I'll probably do the same thing. It's a bit louder, but not too much. Plus the exhaust was tucked up inside the frame rails, no clearance issues at all. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Just a thought.

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Shane74, just for clarification : your exhaust is similar to the style where it (more or less) straight back between the frame rails with turn downs in front of the rear axle, with the exception that your turn downs are angle like 45* towards the side so that they would blow out towards the front of the rear tire?

12. bajaviking

Mine comes out in about the same place as yours, except mine is a straight 3" pipe.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is the rear window (tailgate) that is brining in fumes, not the side windows. The air moving over the truck creates a vacuum back there that sucks exhaust fumes in. The door windows aren't a problem since the air is always moving back past them as you drive.

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Exactly! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Sorry, I should have clarified more. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

No need to apologize you were clear, I just wanted to make sure I had it correct as I am taking notes for my next project. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Thanks again!

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Marv you crack me up! I notice in that picture you now use the tailight as a storage bin for extra oil!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Too funny!

17. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

You could cut a hole in the fender and vent it out the side. Like some of the new cars are doing exhausts out of the rear rollpans. Might melt some paint? Jeremiah