Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finally oil pressure after 2 years at 0

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Dec 3, 2002.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

ok so i start up the truck this morning and i have an oil pressure reading, the guage was reading around 20 or so. when the motor got up to operating temp, it went right back to zero. so is this indicitive of crank bearing gone south or what. i just thought my guage was bad, it's never registered any oil pressure as long as ive owned it. oh it was like 9 degrees today so the oil must of been like syrup. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

craig

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ground the sending unit wire (easiest to do in the engine bay) and if the gauge pegs, at least it and the wire are ok. (this is of course assuming electrical, not mechanical gauge)

I've noticed something odd about the sending units, all the ones that I've had that are bad, "rattle" when shaken. I'm assuming its the diaphram or whatever "holds" the pressure, and I doubt its 100% correct, just what I've noticed to be present whenever the senders fail.

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck shows 20-25 lbs when it gets real cold and drops to about 2lbs when hot. I was worried about it until I hooked up a direct reading guage instead of the electric one. I have a whole 7lbs when hot! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Replace you're sensor!! Mine froze like that, and started working again, and then started to leak like crazy. They are cheap and easy to replace, right above your oil filter. Then you won't have to worry about seizing your engine from no oil pressure.